Author Topic: Buzzard  (Read 1985 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Buzzard
« on: November 01, 2004, 16:14:05 »
This afternoon while working in the Alpine house there was a huge kerfuffle just outside, with hens screaming and squawking. Obviously I dashed out, foxes are a hazzard here. No fox, just a buzzard sat on the shed roof no more than 5 feet away from me, with two crows diving at its head and the hens now no longer in sight. It did not stop, just flapped its wings and lazily flew onto the telegraph pole over the road, followed by the crows. Then off it went, with its attendant court away towards the woods where it seems to live.
We have a lot of buzzrds around here, but they rarely come that close to the house. Beautiful if cruel looking creature.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Buzzard
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 23:03:57 »
And big Eric.  See plenty when we are down with the rellies in Devon.  They sit like statues on fence posts and I am always amazed at the size of them.  I think birds of prey are my fave birds....I know they nab and attack smaller birds and make a mess, but they are so graceful in flight, and their plumage is wonderful, and that umistakeable squeeky squawky whistle they have.

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 20:04:02 »
Eric, up here we call buzzards "the tourists' eagles" for obvious reasons! I can never get over the size of their nests! I'm sure they'd be wide enough for me to park my bum up there (if it wasn't for the fact they are almost at the top of the tree!).
We have a standing joke that if we are lying outside on a hot sunny day (this year? huh!!) and the buzzards are flying overhead, screeching their heads off, then we say "The vultures are circling overhead ... our days are numbered ..."  :(

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 12:19:32 »
There are loads of Buzzards in Cornwall at the moment. I keep thinking that I must keep the camera in the car.

Will see what I can do picture wise.

Sam
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal