Author Topic: making leaf mould  (Read 979 times)

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
making leaf mould
« on: March 09, 2010, 15:53:38 »
Ok so i think i have an unlimited amounts of leaves from my husbands work (set in a manor house in a forrest and their pile of leaves is over 7ft high right now!!).

I know you can make a leaf mould from wiremesh (which i dont have) but i wonder if you could just use pallets (which i do have) like i would for my compost heap?

First time allotment holder, second time mum.

Spudbash

• Acre
Re: making leaf mould
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 16:10:53 »
I would have thought so, provided the leaves are big enough not to fall out of the gaps.

My OH and I made a 1 metre square leafmould clamp using cheap trellis from B & Q. When we left the shop with it, it wouldn't fit into the car, so we had to go in and buy a cheap saw to cut it up, there and then! Gave everyone in the car park a good laugh!  ;D ;D ;D

We just drove four posts into the ground and fixed on the trellis using U-shaped staples. The clamp holds a huge volume of oak leaves, which seem to be breaking down nicely - although I haven't checked lately - and it looks quite neat.

Of course, pallets are heavier than trellis, so you may need to fix them to the posts more securely than we did, our trellis...

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 16:13:41 »
Le-y, I used pallets to make my leaf mould bin and it works well. Once the leaves have got a bit damp they stay put!!!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 16:25:45 »
I've used pallets before to make leaf mould, works just fine and agree with Tin Shed, as long as they are damp the leaves don't go anywhere. This/last year I'm using approx 6'x4' bags (they are bags I was given that used to hold wool), but I have used big black bin liners, with a few holes made in the bag to let the creepy crawlies in.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 16:30:43 »
excellent thanks guys
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 22:53:35 »
you can also use the one tonne builders bags for making compost / leafmould. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal