Author Topic: Flag  (Read 5316 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Flag
« on: March 03, 2010, 19:01:55 »

What's your view on flags on the allotment?  I'm proud to fly a flag of St. George, and I think it's completely in keeping to fly it on an allotment site, but I guess people can feel differently.  I ask because a neighbour - I live just accross the road from my site - has complained to the council and they've asked me to take the flag down (and take the chimbly off the shed too, though that's another matter).  What do you think?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Flag
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 19:26:05 »
I think if you want to be patriotic in your own country it should be allowed, even though I'm not very patriotic myself (that kind of nonsense get's people killed!). Having said that, it is only a flag, and stupid as they are being, I'd take it down (& maybe replace it with a skull & crossbones).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 19:41:32 »
I might fly a skull and crossbones, or maybe the Red Flag, but that's as far as it's going!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 19:48:45 »
Don't you need planning permission for a flag pole as its likely to be over 6 ft and in peoples line of sight??

( Bet that chimney is over 6ft as well.  :( :( )

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 19:50:29 »
Unwashed,
                      What is your fireplace in your shed built out of? I want to do the same when my shed when it  is extended this weekend, :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 19:51:11 »
Im all for it. The problem with the multi-cultural society thats been forced on us (and without asking us if we wanted it) is that the only culture that doesnt seem to matter anymore is english culture, so I fly a flag from a disused telephone pole in my back yard.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 19:52:12 »
While you are at it.....take that shed down too............you are enjoying yourself far too much  ;) ;D ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 19:53:40 »
I fly the Union flag from a 13'6'' beachcaster fishing rod on the Queens birthday on the top of my front gate, totally agree stop enjoying yourself ;D :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 19:53:47 »
Under Schedule 1 Class H of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007, national flags, the flags of the Commonwealth, European Union, the United Nations, English counties and certain saints can be flown without the express consent of local authorities as long as they satisfy the standard conditions for the display of advertisements generally and the conditions and limitations set out within Class H itself.

For saints' flags, the conditions are that they can only be flown in the county with which the saint is associated. This means that the St Piran's flag may be flown freely in Cornwall, but express consent would be required for it to be flown elsewhere in England.

If any of these flags are to be flown no further planning permission is needed for the flag pole, however it may be required if other flags are to be flown.

So as long as you are flying the flag of Saint George, and you are in England, the local council has no power to stop you. Juts quote the law above at them.  I would also ring the local newspaper and embarrass the council and the neighbour. Personally i would take it as an insult to my Queen and country, my culture, and English society to be told to take it down.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 20:01:34 by lincsyokel2 »

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 19:59:39 »
Unfortunately some right wing people have taken over the cross of st george as a racist symbol.  Perhaps someone has got the wrong idea.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 20:06:06 »
Don't you need planning permission for a flag pole as its likely to be over 6 ft and in peoples line of sight??

( Bet that chimney is over 6ft as well.  :( :( )

sure this isn't it, and not the flag itself? Theey're not complaining about your flag, but about your unauthorised erection?

flitwickone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 20:49:10 »
tell the council to fook off

im gonna do the same and fly my flag boolocks to the lot of em d**n stupid the pc brigade is

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 20:55:55 »
I'd leave it up :)

Actually, where I live, I see more flags flying from allotments than anywhere else, don't know why ???  Quite a few houses/gardens in my town have them in gardens and/or windows (me being the heathen that I am, only dangle mine during important sporting events, lol) but as I said, I see them flying from allotment sites all over the place!  :)

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 21:17:14 »
I proudly fly the St Georges Cross (although id have no probs with a Union Jack), and quite a few others on our plot, one english fella even flys the turkish flag for some reason, if i was told to take it down i would stand my ground, if you cant fly the colours of your country in said country then there is something severley wrong, after all i dont complain where taxi drivers have Pakistan flags in thier cars of when you see flags on lorries on the motorway, i dont see the problem...............as long as the St Geoge Flys highest while in England.

w00dy
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 22:18:00 »
I did have a Cornwall flag, but it's badly deteriorated because of the weather.
I shall fly the England flag when I can get hold of another flagpole.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 23:02:35 »
Thanks very much for your responses.

I understand that the neighbour thinks the chimbly and flag are "an eyesore".  I said that I can't agree that a George Cross can possibly ever be an eyesore, and I'm disappointed that my neighbours don't have as much pride in my country as I do.

Mr Smith, I cast a 4" hearth directly onto the floor of the shed - it has 1" boards and solid bearers so it's quite sunstantial - and then built the chimbly off that.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 00:28:11 »
Thanks very much for your responses.

I understand that the neighbour thinks the chimbly and flag are "an eyesore".  I said that I can't agree that a George Cross can possibly ever be an eyesore, and I'm disappointed that my neighbours don't have as much pride in my country as I do.

Mr Smith, I cast a 4" hearth directly onto the floor of the shed - it has 1" boards and solid bearers so it's quite sunstantial - and then built the chimbly off that.

AN EYESORE???? What a pair of cretins. Its a bloody allotment with  a load of wooden sheds, not a gated estate. Where do they think they live - Beverley Hills ?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 17:23:32 »
Fly it with pride Unwashed, I might put mine up there one day.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 18:50:22 »
My only comment

[attachment=1]
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 19:25:50 »
You guys are great! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal