Author Topic: re-planting apple trees  (Read 2692 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
re-planting apple trees
« on: February 28, 2010, 20:24:22 »
Can anyone advise? I bought an apple tree, and it was delivered at a time when it was unsuitable for planting at the allotment (I forget whether it was waterlogged or frozen now!) and so I followed advice attached and 'heeled it in' - planted it at an angle, shallow - in the garden.

But what the instructions didn't say was when to replant.

Since Christmas, it's either been frozen or waterlogged. The soil is heavy clay.

Has anyone got any experience, and can advise when I should re-plant the apple?

Thanks!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: re-planting apple trees
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 20:57:22 »
You can replant when ever the soil is in good condition with all the wet and cold the soil is not warming up as quick as other years so you have lost nothing. Do be tempted to rush it or when you firm the soil around the roots you will push all the air out. If it should need  stake you put that on the side that the main wind comes from so that the tree is blown away from and not onto the stake.
Laurie

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:52:35 »
Thank you Laurie - I was worried that it wouldn't be possible to move the tree later on, with spring on its way. But as long as I can safely leave it, I will.

I suppose I could leave it till next Nov or so, once it's dormant again. Would that be better than moving it during the growing season? Or does it really not matter?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 15:17:56 »
Thank you Laurie - I was worried that it wouldn't be possible to move the tree later on, with spring on its way. But as long as I can safely leave it, I will.

I suppose I could leave it till next Nov or so, once it's dormant again. Would that be better than moving it during the growing season? Or does it really not matter?

you'll have to move it this spring, as soon as soil conditions allow.
You couldn't make it up!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:21:32 »
As Tony says you will do best to move it this year as soon as the weather permits, if you leave it to next year you will spoil all the new roots .

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 21:10:30 »
Okay, so as long as it can be moved in spring, I can relax a bit - I was worried we would go from waterlogged straight to spring (well, we probably will!)

Thanks

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 21:24:03 »
Plant it as soon as the ground allows.

Here in Surrey where I work in the woods we have already seen signs of the sap rising so trees will soon be flushing (producing young leaves).

Ideally plant before growth starts as you will find the roots shooting out possibly just before the leaves. Having said that it will be better planted now as soon as you can rather than leaving it a season and disturbing it again.  8)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 02:26:38 »
Assuming that it is a reasonably small tree at this stage.

I would certainly put it into any container I could find with some sort of soil (even a grow bag) to 'get it going'.

Hopefully, you have not just left it drying out somewhere.

It is still a bit cold but the tree is probably strong enough to get started if you plant it out side.

My personal thought is that it will do better in a pot or in the soil than leaving the roots to dry out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal