Author Topic: Parsnips in tubes  (Read 11211 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Parsnips in tubes
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 13:00:59 »
I like the loo roll work,,,it is far easier to stand in warm greenhouse. I do most of my veg in similar way, the less time I spend bending down the better...
and as it is me who do the cooking too, if I only peel just one or two veg that is benefit too...time is precious..
And "Robin"; yes, I do the shallow too, but it doesn't work..

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 14:45:36 »
If they stick in the pipes, try splitting them down the middle then tying or taping the two halves together. Then it just comes to pieces when you want to extract the parsnip.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 10:31:11 »
Yes I must say this obsessing over parsnips puzzles me, I always get a good crop and I am probably the most hopeless gardener on this forum.  They are the LAST root crop I sow, never until at least end of April, once it is warm and sunny, water well till they come up then I just ignore them! OK a bit of a weed, but that's it. I never pull them up till they have almost no leaves left and I get big tasty parsnips!!!
I think they don't like cold ground ...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 13:01:33 »
I have real problems getting the things to germinate, I don't know why. I remember my father insisting that they were always the first things to go in (most of us would disagree!), but he always got a good row.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 13:20:42 »
I have real problems getting the things to germinate, I don't know why. I remember my father insisting that they were always the first things to go in (most of us would disagree!), but he always got a good row.

reading all this about germanating parsnips and carrots in tubes and paper towels makes me think you are making a rod for your own backs.

Most of the seed gardeners use germinate best in the dark with constant moisture, how many times have you picked a length of wood off the garden and noticed it was damp under it.
So if you plant your seeds directly into the ground cover it with a length of wood about 3" wide and allow about 20 days for germination with parsnips carrots will be a lot less so you have to check from about 14 days depending on the warmth of the soil
Give it a try some time the simplest of methods are the best.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 13:24:48 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 17:03:32 »
I hadn't thought of that. I usually cover them with 1/2 inch of soil, which should create darkness for them.

Jokerman

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 12:52:47 »
what compost do you use in the toilet roll tubes?  ???
“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” ~ Tolkien

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 13:00:20 »
I use multipurpose from B&Q which got an ok write up recently

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 15:51:27 »
I hadn't thought of that. I usually cover them with 1/2 inch of soil, which should create darkness for them.

Far to much soil on top, a good guide is three times the thickness of the seed, the seed still has to be covered you put the wood on to maintain the moisture therefor not having to water every day
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 16:09:10 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 17:19:09 »
For those new to planting out the loo roll  it is an idea to wet the tube first otherwise when the dry card is planted it can act as a barrier. 

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 16:25:40 »
Agree about wetting the tube, but the other thing is not to let part of it stick up like a collar, as it dries out and continues to act as a barrier.

If the compost has sunk a bit, it is best to tear off this barrier, and bury the rest completely.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal