Author Topic: Muscade Vilmorin  (Read 2783 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Muscade Vilmorin
« on: March 01, 2010, 13:15:49 »
Hi

well as the dust settles from ChrisCross' squash swap, I have 1 variety that I can't find much info about - and that's Muscade Vilmorin. Or should I say my French is feeling a tad rusty this morning!  ::)

How big do they get and is it a trailing or a bush type

Thanks

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Muscade Vilmorin
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 13:27:11 »
Think I might have just answered my own question

Red Etampes
It is a spectacular variety for fall decorations.The brilliant reddish-orange skin is predominately smooth but usually has some rough bumps, cracking and netting. The vines produce 2-3 large fruits which are heavily ribbed and flattened. Their weight may reach 20 kg. This variety has an excellent flavor for pies or winter squash recipes. It is a fairly good keeper. 95 days.
It was first offered for sale in America by W. Atlee Burpee in 1883. It is a very old variety mentioned in France, in the book “Les Plantes Potagères” of Vilmorin-Andrieux. In 1885 Vilmorin  reported that this was the most frequently seen squash variety at the Central Market in Paris. Also known as “Rouge vif d’Etampes”. It is a classic pumpkin for Cinderella’s coach in old illustrations! It was perhaps developed from the variety "Jaune de Paris". It was already in cultivation in 1930.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 14:13:55 »
Oh.... I was operating under the assumption that it was the same as Musquee de Provence.... I've found several places which made that assumption but without provenance of Provence...

chrisc

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 15:02:19 »
Ah the old problem of provenance in provence  :D

I guess 1 way to find out is to grow them all  ;)

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 15:27:59 »
Thanks Grawrc, so looking at the seedsavers site it looks like ChrisCross could be right -

"(C. moschata) Traditional variety from southern France. Gorgeous, big flat fruits are reminiscent of big wheels of cheese. Fruits average 20 pounds, green when immature and ripen to a deep, rich brown when fully ripe. Deep orange flesh, very fine flavored. One of the best varieties we offer for baking, good keeper. Introduced to American gardeners in 1899 by Vaughan’s Seed Store in Chicago. 100-110 days. "

Oh well, as I said earlier only 1 real way to find out.................. ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 22:45:45 »
Just found this one..

This one gets confused all the time  and it has several other names. Muskat,Montlhery,and Fairytale which is where the confusion comes in with Cinderella .. and not to be confused with the one marketed as Fairy.

Vilmorin is a seed company. Provence we all know is an area.

Musquee literally means musk.. so named for it's aromatic smell
Muscade literally means nutmeg..again fragrant but also a rich brown.. skin color

Either way it is the same  squash(or pumpkin ) it is a lovely one with a great taste.

However it has no connection to the Cinderella Pumpkin. aka  Red Etampes,(French is Rouge d'Etampes) Coach Pumpkin and Fairytale Coach, which in my opinion is very good  on a table if  you are just going to look at it, pretty but the  taste is  poor.

Fairy by the way is a striped spaghetti squash.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 22:47:24 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:21:53 »
Thanks for the info Jeannine - that seems to clear things up! Better get a couple of seeds sown then  ;)  ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:36:02 »
Sitting here thinking out loud as you do and realised I had said Fairy was a  striped spaghetti when I meant to say  a striped Butternut..sorry.. glad I got back close to my message XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:48:00 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:28:29 »
I now have visions of stripey faries (you know the sort who live at the bottom of the garden  ::) )

1066  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal