Author Topic: Cost of seed potatoes  (Read 4636 times)

I love digging

• Quarter Acre
Cost of seed potatoes
« on: February 28, 2010, 14:18:02 »
How much is everyone else paying for seed potatoes?

I usually buy mine from my local hardware shop as I'm not very good at planning ahead and they usually have a choice of 3 or 4 for each type (first, second earlies, mains).  A couple of weeks ago I bought a bag of Unwins Pentland Javelin First Earlies - 2.5kg for £3.99. 

When I looked on Unwins website today they advertise what looks to be exactly the same deal (ie 25-30 tubers, mine had 31) for £6.50 which, by the time I've added postage as well, comes to £11.25.

So am I missing something here?   ???

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Cost of seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 14:26:48 »
My horticultural society has done all seed potatoes at £1-20 per kg, and you can buy any quantity from one upwards!  On offer were 3/4 varieties each of first earlies, second earlies and maincrop.
As with most things it's well worth shopping around as prices do vary considerably.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 15:06:25 »
the seed companies seem to be charging lots more this year, the sweet potato slips have doubled   :-\

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 15:11:22 »
My lot went up a bit this year but managed to get them @45p per pound (£1.00 kg)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 15:17:12 »
Paying £1:20 per Kg in the lottie shop... slightly more elsewhere. Big thanks to Tattieman, finally got to Brookside Nuseries (Anstey) for the Epicure...
If you are near they have a great selection...

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 15:26:23 »
A couple of people moaned about the cost of ours!
We've since put up a list of all the prices that we could find for elsewhere and none are cheaper. It's the same with onions and shallots.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 15:29:57 »
We sell them for 45p per lb or £2.80 for 7 lb in our stores.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 15:56:08 »
Might be worth looking in Wilkinsons, if I remember correctly they had Pentland Javelin, Maris Piper and another, a couple of days ago. Sorry I didnt notice the price.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 16:08:04 by Mortality »
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 17:11:38 »
Got mine from wilkos, can't be 100% sure as I can't find the receipt, but I think they were £3 for 3kg.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 17:14:39 »
Most varieties we have in the lottie shop are selling at £1.90 for 3kg,  (about 12 varieties).  3 other varieties we sell range from £2.20 - £2.80.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 17:20:11 »
local hardware shop, in centre of huge council estate, £1.10p per kilo.
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 17:21:49 »
Here's the price list for Charlton Park who do the Whitchurch potato day and the markets around Newbury.  Depends what you buy, but they start at £1.20/kg.  Delivery costs are quite high because of the weight - three bags carriage is £8.85.

£/kg isn't necessarily a good way to compare different varieties because it also depends on the size of the seed and the yield - eg, bio gold are £2/kg but the seed are very small and they yeild well so they're quite a cheap buy really, whereas Kestrel at £1.40/kg are big seed and the yield isn't fantastic.  It would be interesting to see the yeild for the different varieties - so how many kg of tatties you get per kg of seed, and then you could work out the cheapest buys where cost is important.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 18:52:13 »
I paid £12 for 5Kg each of 4 varieties (ie 5KG x 4 total) from the  local lotty association. T&M wanted £39 for the same deal.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Buster54

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 19:03:52 »
I got 2x3kg bags of Maris Piper from Wilkinson's,most of their varieties were £3 for a 3kg bag,and paid £3.99 for a 3kg bag of a salad variety from local garden centre
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 19:26:02 »
3kg rocket 75 spuds £3.10
3kg Kestrel 37 spuds £3.10
3kg Cara  38 spuds  £2.99
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 20:08:35 »
Kestrel at £1.40/kg are big seed and the yield isn't fantastic.  

Maybe it is soil in different areas but our site swear by Kestrel as it is always the first to sell out.  Admittedly ours is cheaper at £1.90 per 3kg of Kestrel but they produce good sized spuds, a fantastic yield, some of the biggest and also store for ages. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 23:13:29 »
I pay between £3.20 and £3.80 for a 3kg bag depending on variety plus £7 P&P for upto 25Kg - Edwin Tucker and Sons , highly recommended.

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 07:56:09 »
Its a few month since i paid but i think i paid just over £8 for 2.5kg each of Sante, Maris Peer and Romano, ftom the allotment shop.

Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 08:02:11 »
I always look for a bag with lots of little ones and got 162 potatoes two varieties from, Wilkies in 3Kilo bags I know they were less tha £3 a bag.  

They are just the right size to chit in the egg boxes I saved over winter.

There are a lot of places selling little packs of half a dozen spuds for £1.99.  

Personally if I could only find enough space for so few, I would use sprouting spuds meant for eating.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 18:07:59 »
Kestrel for me certainly produce large spuds and good yields and certainly weight wise are Superior to anything I have grown.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal