Author Topic: Indoor cyclamen  (Read 1309 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Indoor cyclamen
« on: February 25, 2010, 13:48:35 »
My friend phoned this morning to ask what to do with some indoor cyclamen she's had flowering over Christmas (I think she thinks I know everything  ???)
I said I think you dry out the corms when they die back but I've never been very successful with them(I usually forget them and unearth them years later when I'm giving the shed a clearout :o)
HELP please :)
sanity is overated

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Indoor cyclamen
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 14:42:22 »
You can gradually dry them out and then restart them about August by replanting in a small pot with fresh compost. Be careful with the watering as they can rot before they get new roots. I do not know why but white ones seem to be far better the second time than other colours. Sometimes the new growth is in little clumps and does not grow well but they are worth trying.
Laurie

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 18:00:47 »
I just put mine out on a window ledge a shady one.

about 3/4 survive and thrive and the rest cant take the cold.
They grow really well from seed and flower the next year so if she has seed pods on them maybe coddle them a bit longer until the pods are ripe.

Mine are just getting flower buds on them outside in pots.

nearly spring!
x sunloving

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 14:20:12 »
I really don't 'do' indoor plants (specially those you can't eat!) BUT I've found indoor cyclamen, given to me as prezzies, the easiest EVER to keep alive & productive (apart from Spider plants  that is ::))....they actually LIKE a cold environment, in Spring/Summer, it seems, & I've never coddled them/unpotted/repotted or generally faffed around with them. They seem to be indestructable, as long as they're kept cool, tho not cold, cold in the winter.  The only thing I've done, now that I have CH, is to move them to a cooler spot over winter. Yes, in winter they look a bit tatty, but there again - so do I. We both still survive, tho, and positively bloom in the right temps - cool for them, hot for me 8)

I scrape off top soil & replenish with fresh just as they're stirring their stumps for another year's growth - think they've deserved it 8)

Just my experience.

Lishka

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal