Author Topic: A few questions !!  (Read 2876 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: A few questions !!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 19:10:09 »
Hi all,

I have a few questions i thought it might be better to ask them all in one go  ;D

1) When planting seeds alot of books tell you to plant in seed tray and then pick out into 3" pots. Just wondered why this is? Could you not just plant straight into the 3" pots?

2) I'm starting my Parsnips in Loo rolls this year as seen on here  ;D Do you cut the rolls in half? (i have read that somewhere)

3) How long do runner bean seeds last? I have found some in the shed when having a clear out must be from the plot holder before me! Stored in a carrier bag! Can i use them?

I'll just do the three I'm sure on..
1) As others have said it helps with the warming if you're using a propagator, though I'd suggest the best of both worlds if you use module packs.... then you don't have to deal with pricking out, it's just potting on...

2) Parsnips probably better in kitchen roll tubes if you're going to do them that way, or making something like a very deep rootrainer using thin well varnished plywood.... I'd still go for the "germinate on paper on the windowsill " technique though before it.... then transplant decent young plants .... remember to fill your home-made rootrainer with soil not compost though.... helps prevent forking....

3) Runners are basically kidney beans viable for a long time ... if you've got a few you can spare (six should be enough) then stick them in a bag on some damp kitchen roll (or try and start them in loo roll tubes....) if you get decent germination now then they'll still be OK when it's time to sow them for real.... and if you can get them to grow in the GH you might just get some early beans.....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal