Author Topic: Small fruit tree's in pots  (Read 5661 times)

Sara

• Not So New ...
Small fruit tree's in pots
« on: January 27, 2006, 19:19:15 »
Hi,

I would like to grow some fruit tree's in pots they would have to be really small as I have  very small garden, I can only have a couple of self pollinators, so what would you recommend.

any help welcome

Sara :)

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
Re: Small fruit tree's in pots
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:17:46 »
Hi, I noticed this question unanswered when I was looking for the same Felt it only right I should bring this TTT instead of starting a new thread.

Basically, I own a small 20x5 private allotment and space is at a premium. I'd prefer something very small that I could put in large pots rather than plant directly into the ground. Any fruit considered but I'd like the basics of apple, pear, cherry and plum. Again as the OP wants, self pollinating would be an advantage.

Is there any such fruit trees available?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:51:01 »
They are but I've got no experience of growing this way.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55:32 »
http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/index.php/trees/minarette-fruit-trees.html
Have a look here. It will give you an idea of what's available.
You can also get family trees and double cordons.
You could also look at
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1261
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:57:05 by grawrc »

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 13:22:02 »
I recently ordered from Blackmoor - a cherry, plum, cox's orange pippin and a bramley just under £50 including delivery as they were doing buy one get one free:)  The trees arrived just 3 days later and all very good condition, lots of buds, thick stems (as two years old) but be warned they were all at least 180cm tall and I definately ordered the smallest rootstock of each!

Good luck with your trees.  Have seen the lidl and poundstretcher £5 trees and they look good - they were about 90-140cm in our local stores.

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 13:55:15 »
About 7 years ago I put some Minarette fruit trees (ex Ken Muir) in what I thought were large pots. (square, about 18" and about 12-18" in depth) The trees grew OK but not as well as in the ground. They did tend to dry out rather quickly, the pot soon filled with roots and the soil soon became reduced in nutrients. I moved house and now they are all in the ground and are growing significantly better and produce a reasonable amount of fruit.
The size of the pot is important to allow the tree to develop reasonably well. I think my original pots were much too small. You will need to have trees on a dwarf root stock to reduce the amount of top growth because trees in pots will require careful pruning to control the shape and size. I am not sure about self fertile because in in the UK cross pollination with insects is usually successful as long as you chose varieties from compatible pollination groups.
I have also tried black currants and gooseberries in large pots. The plants are now in the ground because they required too much attention and produced hardly any fruit.
If I had to grow fruit trees in large pots again I would think very carefully and probably decide not to do it. It didn't work for me but there are many people growing small fruit trees in pots successfully. 

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 14:48:34 »
I was asking similar on topic "Fruit Tree Rootstocks:

I have just been given a "mini-Orchard" as an early birthday present. The instructions say they can be potted up into 30L pots. They are:

Victoria Plum - St Julianne A rootstock
Conference Pear - Quince
Braeburn Aplle - M9
Morello Cherry - Colt

They cost £29.99 with free cherry

They came from gardenbargains.com   They were ordered a while ago. When I tried to get pots from them they quoted 10-15 working days!! Whilst I believe they are dwarfing rootstocks I am not sure whether they are the optimum rootstocks. They certainly claim that a 30L pot is  OK for two years or so. It would seem that a lot of the solution is in the pruning (thanks Jeanbean).

I got 35L pots in the end from thegardensuperstore (no connections!!) I have not used them before but they were very efficient, 48hrs return.

After all, in my case, the trees were a very kind present!! They are now potted up in 35L pots and looking good. Just got to keep them well fed and watered. (Bit like me, really)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 15:01:06 by InfraDig »

GlentoranMark

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 14:58:16 »
Many thanks for the replies.

I noticed Tescos had fruit trees for £7 each, not as good as the Aldi deal but we don't have Aldi in Northern Ireland.

I know nothing about growing fruit but I'm wondering will these be suitable for growing in pots? More importantly can I keep their height and size down by pruning while still getting something from the tree?

Or are there particular varieties that are better suited in pots?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 15:41:45 »
It's all down to the rootstock. A dwarfing rootstock will allow you to get a crop from trees in pots but if the rootstock is not dwarfing the tree will outgrow the pot and require too much pruning.
Have a read at this
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=320

Sara

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 15:54:02 »
Thanks for seeing this :)

I did buy the minarette's from Ken Muir they are currently in pots awaiting there allotted space on lottie(lots has changed for me over the past year or so)but too wet to plant.

Roll on dryer days

Sara :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal