Author Topic: Making your own potting compost  (Read 12310 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Making your own potting compost
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 19:47:16 »
perhaps another reason that seed compost is made with low nutrient levels is so the manufacturer doesn't have to purchase the nutrients to add?
You couldn't make it up!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 20:28:03 »
perhaps another reason that seed compost is made with low nutrient levels is so the manufacturer doesn't have to purchase the nutrients to add?

Nah, the cost of adding a 7-7-7 fertiliser to get the EC to 500 in a retail multipurpose compost mix  is here nor there relatively speaking.  Remember that many of the  compost makers dont buy fertiliser, they buy raw materials (like urea and rock phosphate)  and make there own.

On the other hand the cost of compensating a grower for 20,000 african violets because the seed compost you supplied to the grower was too hot and fried the seedlings would run well into 5 digits. Only from that point of view is it cheaper not to put it in the mix !

Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 21:43:24 »

Nah, the cost of adding a 7-7-7 fertiliser to get the EC to 500 in a retail multipurpose compost mix  is here nor there relatively speaking.  Remember that many of the  compost makers dont buy fertiliser, they buy raw materials (like urea and rock phosphate)  and make there own.
On the other hand the cost of compensating a grower for 20,000 african violets because the seed compost you supplied to the grower was too hot and fried the seedlings would run well into 5 digits. Only from that point of view is it cheaper not to put it in the mix !
I have a friend who grows 1.5 million units per yr, got a 'bit peeved' when his compost (sinclair) was very low in N, (too much wood) it put him back almost a month with his schedule.
You couldn't make it up!

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 04:52:34 »
Last year I got myself a Flymo Pac a Shred garden shredder (slightly damaged plastic bin but usable) on the internet for under ? £90. Usually they are £200-£170...... I'll see if I an find the link for these.

Used it on woody twiggy bits in the late summer/autumn and just threw the shreds on the scruffy bit of my garden behind the raised veggie patch where the big weeds grow. I just trod the weeds down before I threw the shreds on.

Looked at them two days ago and all the tall weeds have gone and now there is a nice layer of composting looking stuff. So will chuck that over the veggie patch soon plus some alpaca poo from the stud up the road.

As you can see, I make it up as I go along  ;D

Gen in NBL where it is a balmy 4.5C at 5am !
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal