Author Topic: Best tool ever!  (Read 3783 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Best tool ever!
« on: February 22, 2010, 12:34:30 »
Found it yesterday - it is called a Japanese Razor Hoe - it is a handtool - cost me £10 and is just PERFECT!

It is just perfect for lifting chopping weeds with virtually no effort at all.  It glides just under the earth - if it hits a root (dandeliion or the like) you can either chop its head off - which will still leave the root but otherwise you will have to dig that out - but everything else it is just perfect.

I did between my raspberries and it wizzed through and the end has a pointy bit so you can really winckle out weeds from between the stalks.  On the raised beds it was just a complete doddle and loosened the earth on the top and whooshed away the weeds.

I think this is the perfect tool and everybody should have one!!!  Did I say I am pleased with it.  I went back to the garden centre and bought 3 more!  All gifts for other gardeners.

I would think left handers may have a problem with it as it is I think geared to right handers but for ease of use and perfect weight, this is just PERFECT!

I am happy - this is my "tool of the year"  I will be buying myself another one just in case I lose this one!  Check it out on the internet.  It is just PERFECT!!!

Old Bird

;D

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
Re: Best tool ever!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 12:44:13 »
where did you buy this wonder tool????!!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:48:34 »
Local garden centre - you can get it online it is made by Burgon & Ball.

It is just Brilliant!!!

O B

;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 13:00:06 »
It's available for £11.95 + £3.35 shipping on Amazon if you buy through the A4A shop link then this site gets a small commission which helps Dan with the running costs.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/allotments4al-21/detail/B0026LSF4O

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 15:12:59 »
Being thoroughly sinister, I think I might have problems using it. Pity they don't do a left-handed version.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 15:31:47 »
Being thoroughly sinister, I think I might have problems using it. Pity they don't do a left-handed version.

You have my sympathy if you are left handed both my son's are left handed and left handers are pretty much second class citizens. It's hard to get decent tools of any kind for left handers, if you can they cost more etc I had to buy scissors for my boys to use at primary school because teachers would tell me 'he's not very good at cutting out' then some other kid (right handed) in the class would borrow the scissors and throw them away when they didn't work!

I've seen this in the local GC and wondered if it was any good so thanks for letting us know.

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 15:32:18 »

Left handed Cape Cod Weeder from the Netherlands ?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 15:33:59 »
It's somewhat similar to the swoe I swear by.

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 16:19:41 »
The picture isn't  vary clear must be the plastic  it is in but from what I could see
it looked a bit like a scythe  ?? :o

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 16:38:12 »
That is the best description halfofmanic!

The "blade" is about 3 1/2 inches long and the handle probably 18" but it is the angle of it that is so useful as you don't need to angle your wrist which is why I have so much problem with other tools.

According to the blurb the ancient Japanese used them as tools and weapons - dual purpose so to speak.  I think I will need to sharpen the blade every so often but have a good sharpening stone anyway.

Brillilantski!  They are still selling them at my local garden centre at £10 so I am going to get a couple more!  They aren't very much on the ball so these must be old stock and that is why they are only a tenner!

Yes djbrenton but hand size and less angular more of a moon sweep (curve is probably what I am trying to say!!!)  With this though you don't push it is only a pull one, whereas a swoe is push and pull with blades on the front as well.

Old Bird!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal