Author Topic: Weeds weeds and more weeds  (Read 1943 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Weeds weeds and more weeds
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:24:56 »
I dug over some of my front garden before the winter and now it is completely covered in weed seedlings.  I thought that with all the cold weather they would have given up for a while yet.  There are thousands and thousands of them.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Weeds weeds and more weeds
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 19:39:21 »
we have hundreds of coriander seedlings that came in the home made compost and they didn't die in the intense cold, either  ;D

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 20:26:37 »
dontcha just love em   :D

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 21:01:14 »
Join the club and get those knees oiled up then Digeroo  ;D

Ninny
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 21:07:19 by Ninnyscrops. »

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:10:37 »
At the risk of repeating.... Digging has downsides. You have exposed the next batch of weed seeds, and it will happen every time you dig.
The alternative is to hoe off weeds before they seed. Do this a few times, and no seeds will be left in the top inch of soil. Bingo, no more weeds.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 19:59:33 »
we have hundreds of coriander seedlings that came in the home made compost and they didn't die in the intense cold, either  ;D

Yeah, quite recently I read you could grow coriander over winter and it's true - a bit of protection and it's fine - the stuff on my warm SE facing front wall does even better in a normal winter - probably because of the air movement - not so good this year.

As to actual weed seedlings - if you have time (a big if) prepare the ground including the drills, then let the weeds grow an inch high before covering them with black plastic or cardboard etc. until they die (lifting the mulch to look actually helps - it triggers more germination without giving the weeds enough light to survive).

When you remove it you can sow into undisturbed drills - cover the seeds with used growbag compost to avoid exposing more weed seeds to the light.

You will never get them all but it makes seedy soil behave more like normal well-managed soil.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal