Author Topic: What vegetables and fruit can I grow in shade?  (Read 11442 times)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
What vegetables and fruit can I grow in shade?
« on: February 18, 2010, 19:06:33 »
Half my allotment will be - for the most of the day - shaded in summer by a very large tree which will never be cut down.
So, can anyone help with advice on what to grow in these conditions?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: What vegetables and fruit can I grow in shade?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 19:12:27 »
Raspberries and rhubarb come to mind. There must be other veg that will cope. Plus shed, compost bins, etc, of course.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 19:14:58 »
Can you swap should a plot in a more suited location on the site become available?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 19:37:26 »
Swiss chard and lettuce did well on the mainly-shady side of my plot. It got a wee bit of sun in the afternoon but not a lot. My neighbours negotiated a discount on account of the shade!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 20:28:11 »
Purple pole beans grow in part shade and turn green when cooked. They also bear earlier than green pole beans.
Parsley.

Will celery grow in part shade? I don't know but it just came to mind. ::)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 20:37:59 »
Half my allotment will be - for the most of the day - shaded in summer by a very large tree which will never be cut down.
So, can anyone help with advice on what to grow in these conditions?
even if the tree is on the south side of your plot, you will have sun for part of the morning, and again part of the afternoon, most plants will grow well in these conditions.
You couldn't make it up!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 20:46:58 »
Brassicas are meant to like partial shade, I will be growing mine where they are partly shaded by my beans and other climbers.

Jerusalem artichokes tollorate some shade, and like a bit of shelter, by my shed for those.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 20:49:36 »
Brassicas are meant to like partial shade
I am not convinced about this I have never grown good brassicas in my garden, they just love my sunny allotment.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 21:03:42 »
I am not convinced about this I have never grown good brassicas in my garden, they just love my sunny allotment.
I saw somebodies brassica cage made with that scaffolding netting which made it quite shaded inside the cage. I asked them about this, they said they grew well like that, and I did a bit of googling and others seem to agree (and some disagree).
It will be my 1st attempt growing this way so it will be a while to see if it is a good idea or not.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 21:07:20 »
My best swedes grew under the shadow of my sweetcorn plants in my second year!

Ninny

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 21:07:44 »
are they both of the same soil type?
You couldn't make it up!

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:33:43 »
Thanks for all your helpful replies. Will try some of the suggestions.  I think all the soil is the same - very weedy  :). Apparently it's quite free draining but good, albeit stony soil.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 11:40:38 »
TWill try some of the suggestions.  I think all the soil is the same - very weedy  :).
Thanks for clarifying soil types. I'd always questioned our soil being clay, but weedy sounds more accurate.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 11:54:46 »
Garlic and Onions if I remember correctly are tree shade plants.  :)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 13:14:36 »
the blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes I bought last week said they'd tolerate partial shade. haven't tried it yet though.

good luck! 

I seem to have purchased a few too many fruit trees so may be much in need of this thread too!  thanks :)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 01:17:02 »
I read somewhere that courgettes actually prefer partial shade (even though pumpkins don't).

I tried it in open ground slightly behind a tree and it worked; then I realised that was about the same shading of nearly all my garden - where I've been growing them for years.

It depends on your definition of partial shade.

Peas are supposed to do OK too.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 13:59:38 »
What type of tree?  Some are allelopathic (inhibit growth or germination by chemical exudates). If it is a sycamore, it could be worth digging a trench between the tree and your growing area, and put in a vertical barrier of sheet plastic or something to stop the roots regrowing.
One end of my plot grew poor crops for years till I found out about allelopathy, and dug out a large sycamore on the boundary fence. It took two weeks of labour, but now crops are good.
The amount of water they suck out of the ground is another problem.

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 19:23:16 »
That's interesting. All I know is that it's huge! And it's not a sycamore. Oh, and it's home to large numbers of pigeons  :( It's not actually on my plot but on the next but one so I'm hoping it's not going to affect the ground too much other than shading it.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 19:26:22 »
I've been reading up about fruit trees and morello cherries can be grown on north facing walls and shady areas (you can buy one from aldi at the moment for 3.99)
Also red currants are shade tolerators to. Ive often grown my raspberries and pink fir apple potatoes in places that are shaded areas to.

I would just try a bit of everything and just see what works becuase you never know until you try.
good luck
x sunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal