Author Topic: Purple skinned Jerusalem chokes?  (Read 1407 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Purple skinned Jerusalem chokes?
« on: February 18, 2010, 13:45:57 »
Has anyone seen these. I have only seen the yellow skinned ones before. I got an heirloom seed catalogue today and they had them in there, very limited supply , they have apparently been grown by one family for donkeys years and they call them Passamaquoddy Potatoes!!

I think that was the name of the town in the movie Petes Dragon.

I think I might get a few.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Purple skinned Jerusalem chokes?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 13:58:25 »
I spotted some on sale in the organic veg section of the supermarket a few days ago so have bought them to plant out.   They're a lot less knobbly than the usual kind but, of course, have no variety name.
Obxx - Vendée France

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 14:30:05 »
At $8 per lb I would try them if I could, shame they don't ship outside of Canada.
http://www.hopeseed.com/jerusalem_artichokes.html

The name & back story makes sense as the Peskotomuhkati have been living in New Brunswick for centuries & claim there is an ancestral capital called Qonasqamkuk in New Brunswick pretty close to the person who has been growing them for years.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 15:07:46 »
Just an aside here, you know the chemical that makes J artichokes rather 'windy' well it goes through breast milk and makes very cute babies sound like old men!

Be aware is you are bfeeding lol

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 16:35:15 »
Just an aside here, you know the chemical that makes J artichokes rather 'windy' well it goes through breast milk and makes very cute babies sound like old men!

Be aware is you are bfeeding lol

;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 18:18:07 »
I have some red/purple ones (no name) - they are round-ish (not actually lumpy) and they taste even better than fuseau (the long smooth pointy ones) but then so do my other round ones.

Beware of any breeding that changes appearance - it almost always worsens flavour - though this is a lottery and sometimes there is a big win.

The thing that makes them windy is a sugar called inulin - it has a twist that means it doesn't get digested until it hits the bowels - good news for diabetics and good news for friendly bowel bugs but bad news for anyone else at the dinner party!

I find that roasting them whole and fairly slow until the insides become a mush makes them taste even better and makes them less windy too - probably because long cooking can change sugars from one form into another.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal