Author Topic: Poland wants to postpone the battery cage ban... Link to a campaign here...  (Read 2953 times)

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
If you assume an average of 1 egg per bird per day (batteries producing 1.5, hippies producing 0.5) then that's 60,000000 birds. If you take Britain to be 1000km long and 300km wide, then it's 3*1011 m2 so that's 1 chicken every 5000m2 .

If I walk into town from my house, and say the street is an average of 5m wide and it's 1000m into town, on a return journey I "see" 5000m2 of ground so I should expect to see 1 chicken. In fact I will see 3 if I look out the back window.

::)

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
Done it    in a way we are lucky    our plot took on 18 ex battery hens    three of us look after them   share the eggs at 50p 1/2 doz      they are in a large enclosure made from herris fencing  and one of our old sheds      our egg consumption  6 eggs will last us for 3 meals   our eggs are extra large & large     although it is hard to go up to feed them when the locks are frozen    the end result is great  they are the funniest of things    +  when you clean them you have brill stuff for your compost   for 2 years up the road

maybe some of us would be able to keep chicks to opt out of the system wouldn't solve all the probs but a bit at a time maybe     they taste so much better   :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Nice thought 1/2 manic ;D but we have foxes on our site and I don't think the neighbours would be very pleased if we had them in the garden.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Old bird

• Hectare
We also have foxes visit our site and badgers too - we have two flocks of chickens and have never had any problems with the foxes or badgers.

I did lose some to a human with bolt cutters - but never the animals!

Old Bird
 ::)

Chrispy

• Hectare
As much as I hate the system of keeping battery hens; I do wonder at why the UK keeps complaining about other countries actions... I wish we'd get ourselves sorted out first and "lead by example" rather than "do as we say rather than as we do"
We do have better welfare standards (in general) in this country than some other EU countries, which means it is cheaper to import from countries that have lower standards, so our farmers, by being better lose out.

What gets me, when you see people on the telly talking about the better methods, they often say, this will only add 1p or 2p per egg, but when you so shopping that is not the case.
Are we being charged an extra premium?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Done.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?

Email just received :-

Success for hens: Poland's proposal rejected

Great news!

Yesterday the EU Council of Agriculture Ministers rejected Poland's attempt to delay the Europe-wide ban on barren battery cages. As a result, the ban is still due to come into force as planned in 2012.

Thank you to the 10,214 dedicated supporters who lobbied the UK government by sending emails, post cards and letters - once again, you have shown that we can get things done for farm animals when speaking with a united voice. This latest campaign also reiterates the need to be vigilant about the threats that remain, even when victories such as the forthcoming battery cage ban have been gained. Whatever the challenge, Chicken Out! and Compassion in World Farming will continue to take decisive action until the battery cage ban is fully implemented across Europe.

Thank you for your support; we share this victory with you.

Rosie, Siān, Hayley and Caroline
On behalf of
The Chicken Out! Team
Compassion in World Farming

Call us on 01483 521 953

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
They are all in warehouses.

I don't see cows in the fields of Cornwall any more.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal