Author Topic: Growing strawberrys in a tube  (Read 1946 times)

Corribee

• Not So New ...
Growing strawberrys in a tube
« on: January 30, 2010, 19:45:34 »
Hi all,

As space is limited and I dont want loads of strawberry planters taking up lots of room inn my garden, I'm thinking of growing strawberrys in a tube, fixed vertically on a wall/fence.  New Sewer pipe seems to be the largest diametre, seems quite expensive. 

Any ideas for a cheap supply of pipe and apart from making sure the plants do not dry out, can anyone think of any other problems with this idea.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
Re: Growing strawberrys in a tube
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 19:48:03 »
soil / compost will probably wash out?
You couldn't make it up!

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 20:31:48 »
Nice idea, but exspencive unless you manage to the the bits out of a skip or from freecycle.

You may have to leave the tube horizontal while the plants get established, and make the holes as small as possible, this should prevent the compost getting washed out.

You will also want to place a smaller pipe with small holes inside the main pipe, as an aid to watering.

Good Luck.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 17:44:24 »
Why not try grow bags cut in half tied at one corner with a loop to hang it or old bags filled with your own mix then the strawberries into three sides easily watered at the top

Davy
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 18:00:26 »
Hanging baskets maybe?

Poundland has em advertised, basket, liner and bracket £1 each

http://www.poundland.co.uk/
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 15:03:37 »
I have some strawberries that do extremely well in a growbag that sits on a plank slung between two fruit trees (they haven't grown into their space yet). I use wire slings because the whole lot is out of the wind (and wire is less of a route for pests).

If you've got a fence then a growbag on a shelf is perfect. Three battens make a good shelf - and less likely to collect drainage water and rot.

You could use plastic sheet as a hammock for a growbag too, though the water would tend to move away from the ends...
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Corribee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 21:13:11 »
Thanks to all for your response, sorry to be so late in saying so

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal