Author Topic: corrugated PVC cloche  (Read 10620 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
corrugated PVC cloche
« on: February 17, 2010, 07:57:13 »
Hi I want to make a cloche out of corrugated PVC but need some advice on how you secure the cloche to the ground. Do you drill holes and then fix using some wire / tent pegs? Or do you tie some wire etc over the top of the cloche?
Probably being a bit dim, but can't figure out the best way to go about erecting it so that it won't blow away in the 1st bit of a breeze

Thanks

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Re: corrugated PVC cloche
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:23:11 »
Not sure if I am missing something but I just use link stakes. My cloches are 4 feet long and I use two pairs of link stakes on each cloche. They effectively nestle over the top of the semi-circular cloche and stop it moving.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:34:33 »
Hi 1066

What I do is I use the blue piping which I stick into the ground (with bamboo stake into the piping!)  then slide the corrugated plastic through the however many hoops you have made.  I used to use 5 hoops for a 10/12ft length of corrugated plastic.  Obviously the closer the fit the better so the hoops need to be just a couple of inches longer than the width of the plastic.

You also should remember to shut off both ends with glass or plastic to stop the wind and cold getting in.

Good luck

Old Bird

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:05:23 »
thanks for the replies.
BAK - What do you mean by link stakes?
OldBird - thanks for the tip. Had forgotten about the magic blue piping!

So it's over the top, which makes sense - DOH!!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 11:18:52 »
Hi 1066

What I do is I use the blue piping which I stick into the ground (with bamboo stake into the piping!)  then slide the corrugated plastic through the however many hoops you have made.  I used to use 5 hoops for a 10/12ft length of corrugated plastic.  Obviously the closer the fit the better so the hoops need to be just a couple of inches longer than the width of the plastic.

You also should remember to shut off both ends with glass or plastic to stop the wind and cold getting in.
Good luck
Old Bird

I have some thick blue water pipe that I will be using to make cloches.  How do you attach the corrugated plastic to the hoops please and does it go under or over them?  Have you any pictures of them that you could show me please?

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:48 »
Link stakes will do a job if the cloche is relatively narrow (a foot or so wide). If it is significantly wider then Old Bird's approach would be more appropriate.

A picture on the link below ... much as I do not wish to appear to be helping Harrods!

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/search/product/Plant+Supports_Link+Stakes/GPS-200.htm

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:08:07 »
Hi Pauline7

The pipes go over the corrugated plastic which you have the bend and thread through from one end of a row so they basicaly slide into position with the blue piping keeping the plastic in place!  When you water or whatever you remove end glass and slide the plastic out as you will have probably at least 3 hoops holding it down and fitting quite a cosy fit!

O B

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 14:38:25 »
Ah I see what you mean with link stakes now - my neighbour gave me some of them of couple of years ago. So I'll have to see what size corugated PVC I'll get and then work out what to secure it with

Thanks  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 17:44:21 »
One way I've seen is to drill a few holes along the long edges fo the cloche and attach a bit of timber with wood screws... 1" square probably plenty good enough.... then drill through that and use tent pegs of an appropriate size...

chrisc

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 00:27:47 »
To hark back to a previous thread on PVC - it's really not good value for money - goes brittle very quickly and cracks up - unless you spend more than it's worth on supporting structure.

Ordinary thin polythene is much cheaper for not much less life, clear tarps significantly  cheaper for slightly more life, polycarbonate is twice the price for more durability and 5-10 times as much life.

The only good use I've found for corrugated PVC is short vertical sections behind the plank of a raised bed - allows the air to get at the plank and stops it rotting.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 13:27:12 »
thanks for the idea ChrisCross - something to think about

And Vinlander thanks for the info - it's got me thinking about what is the most practical thing to use for creating smallish tunnels where I can start some stuff off early and towards the end of the season keep a few more things going (salads, oriental leaves etc)
I'll have to see if I can find the previous thread you mention

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 13:34:58 »
I like the idea of holding the PVC down with blue piping.  I have a whole roll.  What quality of pvc do you use.  Recommendations of where to buy please?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal