The Show > Sunflowers

Sunflowers: Reach For The Sky 2010

<< < (2/2)

Hosta:
I plant them straight into the ground too......... but always have a good few in pots aswell as back ups for the ones that get scoffed  ;)

elvis2003:
i cant resist starting mine in the greenhouse towards the end of march,never considered trying em so early,but youve tempted me to do so now!  those ive direct sowed have never done so well as the ones ive fussed over!
good luck and let us know how they do
rach
x

GlentoranMark:
I got an allotment last May and got some sunflowers in and was pretty happy with the results. I don't have a front fence atm, money's tight and I've a few other things that need doing before a fence. I was thinking this year putting sunflowers along the front entrance to create a barrier.

Should I start them in pots and transplant? and how close together can I plant them? Height isn't as important as flowers, if I plant them too close will they still flower?

tyia

chriscross1966:
I've just started 5 supposed giants off in the GH in modules. THe seeds were big, I got them on ebay from a guy in Spain, he had photos with flowerheads the size dustbin lids, so fingers crossed..... I can't see how a business model based on chiselling 99p a time out of folks will work so hopefully he's legit :D

chrisc

1066:

--- Quote from: GlentoranMark on March 09, 2010, 21:58:01 ---I got an allotment last May and got some sunflowers in and was pretty happy with the results. I don't have a front fence atm, money's tight and I've a few other things that need doing before a fence. I was thinking this year putting sunflowers along the front entrance to create a barrier.

Should I start them in pots and transplant? and how close together can I plant them? Height isn't as important as flowers, if I plant them too close will they still flower?

tyia

--- End quote ---

Thats a lovely idea  :) I start mine off in pots as the snails/slugs seem to like them! AS to spacing, not sure really I just tend to plonk 'em in !! I guess it depends on which variety you get - super tall, dwarf / bushy etc etc. Maybe someone else can help with that  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version