Author Topic: Check your stored seed potatoes  (Read 1080 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Check your stored seed potatoes
« on: February 10, 2010, 20:00:33 »
If you have stored seed potatoes, check them now in case they have started growing shoots. Even though we have had all this very cold weather, it has not stopped all my seed potatoes sprouting, except for Lady Balfour and Axona. Even my Mayan potatoes that I had stored in the fridge, have started sprouting and I have had to start them chitting in the light.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Check your stored seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 17:51:25 »
Last I looked my PFA (stored maincrop) were still tight but everything else has been shooting since November (but we'd finished most of it by then anyway)

chrisc

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 18:27:58 »
People say that if you leave them in the light to go green, it helps inhibit sprouting overwinter. I haven't tried it yet myself.

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 13:54:40 »
We finish our stored tatties not long after the new year,( gave too many away :( < but thats life..! ) Even those were starting to chit, King Eddies,....my question is this ...do PFA...realy keep well?...Cos' to be honest I've grown them in the past and they have never lasted long enough to find out.....
We eat 'em!!!!   ;) ;) ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 15:15:18 »
I've still got stored PFAs to eat, no sign of shoots at all. My Arran Victory started sprouting in November but they were nearly all finished then anyway, did manage to save enough for Xmas dinner.
My seed potatoes arrived just under 2 weeks ago - all are chitting, even signs on the Lady Balfour.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal