Author Topic: 24 Hour Famine  (Read 1029 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
24 Hour Famine
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:20:51 »
Does anyone remember this? Or do it? I didn't know it was still going.
http://www.worldvision.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.3476

I'm going to ask the head of my daughters' school to participate this year. I did it from about 10 to 14-then obviously became way too cool and forgot about it. My girls recurring theme is..."I'm hungry" when they are clearly not.  ::)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: 24 Hour Famine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:32:06 »
I remember doing that, and being starving! It's a good cause, but personally I have a problem with this form their "about us" section...

"Motivated by our faith in Jesus Christ, World Vision serves alongside the poor and oppressed as a demonstration of God’s unconditional love for all people."

Given that religion causes or apologises for so much of the suffering in the world, I don't agree with their motivation. I don't need an excuse to want to help people who are suffering - my humanity motivates me and it doesn't come from Jesus Christ or any other fictional deity. If people have faith, that's their choice, but we do not need it to help others.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: 24 Hour Famine
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:19:52 »
Yes, I know what you mean but I think it's an interesting way to get a point across.
When I started working for the YMCA in their family learning centre I did think the same thing-load of god-bothering do-gooders salving their social conscience-then after a while I thought-you cynical pregnant dog! Good people doing good things to help others less fortunate? What's wrong with that!!! I know what you mean about motivation but at least they have one.  :-\ :-X :-[  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal