Author Topic: Alstromeria from Seed  (Read 1560 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Alstromeria from Seed
« on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:32 »
A few months ago i was given  some seeds of Alstromeria (Peruvian Lilly) that a relation brought back from Madeira as a gift. The packet has virtually no sowing/growing instructions on it at all so i was wondering how easy or difficult they were to germinate and grow on.

I had forgotten all about the seed until i saw the plants on a recent gardening hour on QVC and became interested in growing them. Being a thrifty soul I didnt want to buy in plants if i could grow them from seed.

Can anyone help please?  Thanks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Alstromeria from Seed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:04:25 »
This link might help;
[url]http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Alstroemeria/Alstoemeria.htm/url]

Word of warning!!

They are very invasive the root system gets everywhere.

If you decide to remove them (as I did) and miss a piece of root........you have another plant!!

So my advice is; grow them in containers!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 17:53:39 »
This link might help;
[url]http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Alstroemeria/Alstoemeria.htm/url]

Word of warning!!

They are very invasive the root system gets everywhere.

If you decide to remove them (as I did) and miss a piece of root........you have another plant!!

So my advice is; grow them in containers!

Thanks.

So its one of those that needs stratifying then? Always put off by those as i have never been that sucessfull at it! Seems to me the best way of germinating such seeds id to sow in autumn and then let winter weathr o the job for you. Trouble is I can never remember to sow in autumn and by the time I think of it in spring the cold weather has passed. Perhaps i would be better buying a plant!

Invasive? probably wouldnt be in my garden. Things described as invasive tend to sulk and wither away in my garden and other things not described as invasive like to take over; japanese anemone, muscari etc. Planted physalis back in the autumn. Thats supposed to be a bit invasive. We shall see......

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 21:21:28 »
I couldnot get TEE GEE's link to work so I may be repeating what is says but you will need to be very very patient. I have know alstromeria seed to stay dormant for up to 18 months. I have not grown the newer princess varieties but only Ligtu hybrids and Dover Orange I hear the newer ones are much better.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:58:48 »
I couldnot get TEE GEE's link to work

Nor could I laurie!

The problem is when I use the tag (planet earth) it works OK at the editing stage but when I upload it on to the forum it somehow drops a close bracket.

i. it gives this /url] as opposed to this[/url] I have reported it to admin!

So for meantime; if you want to open it, copy and paste it to your address bar and add a [ bracket for the time being!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal