Author Topic: Help ! Instructions for sowing/growing Parsley !!  (Read 3326 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Help ! Instructions for sowing/growing Parsley !!
« on: February 07, 2010, 14:07:39 »
Hi Guys ... I am sure that somewhere on here I read some amazing instructions on growing parsley .................  :-X

Anybody any idea where it is ???  :-\

Flo x
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Help ! Instructions for sowing/growing Parsley !!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 15:49:43 »
flowerlady, was this it from Hyacinth?
'Sowing parsley, both curly and flat-leaf. Soak in v.warm water for a few hours or overnight before sowing & germinate somewhere warm.'

I've never soaked it before, but it sounds like a good idea as it can take ages to germinate.I always have both curly and flatleaf on the plot and freeze both for winter use. Mine seems to have survived the snow etc. so far, but I will sow again for this year.

Smile, it confuses people.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 16:24:42 »
Firstly make sure its Good Friday and hopefully a full moon.
Scratch out a drill for the seeds then add boiling water from the kettle to the drill, when that has soaks away thinly sow the seeds.

Never fails!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 16:54:36 »
they can only be germinated by someone who wears trousers, also they take a long time to germinate because they have to go back and forth to the devil 7 times

helps to soak them. They have a germination inhibitor, bit like walnut trees i suppose

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 17:26:51 »
I think it's that they only grow in households where the woman wears the trousers....I pour boiling water on seeds, leave for a few hours, then germinate in an electric propagator, always works for me.  I shall be sowing mine next week for an early start though I have  good crop still on the plot - the local rabbit hasn't appeared this year!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 17:38:43 »
Agree with Ishard! Except that I water after.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 19:51:43 »
Tim, do you wear the trousers?

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 09:48:26 »
I sowed mine in a mainly inheated greenhouse, in an unheated propgator, did not soak anything.........but they have came up lovely  ???  8)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:31 »
Mine go into pots onto the windowsill until it's warm enough for them to live outside-I do water after sowing with hot water-I think I read that on here!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:23:18 »
Mine go into damp cloths in plastic bag in airing cupboard until enough germinate, then into gutters of compost until little plants, then into allotment. There are always lots that don't germinate.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 08:31:59 »
Lidl sell growing kits for parsley 79p they work very well.  You can reuse them for several years.

Otherwise I surface sow on damp compost and then cover with clear plastic and put on a warm sunny window sill.  Thanks for reminding me - its time I got on with it. 

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 09:02:46 »
I didnt make the way to sow parsley up, it was in a very old (1800) gardening book.

These old gardeners know a thing or two,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,................................

dont they Tim?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 09:09:41 »
Blimey - I just bung mine in the ground.  I have a huge packet of Italian Giant with thousands of seeds so I guess even if I miss more than hit I'll still do OK.  They do take an age to germinate but I always get a crop!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:12:25 »
I was just about to say the same thing.Seems such a fuss for no reason really  ???

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:54 »
at the end of the day, the only problem with germinating parsley is that the seed is only viable for a few years

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 17:40:36 »
I'll add my technique too..... I sow it on the same day that I sow a large amount of other hardy veg in modules int eh GH (I've got heated propagators down there that I use for just about every seed to get them started....).... Go down to the GH with cup of tea, small flask with extra cup of tea and a cup of water that came out of the kettle at the same time as the tea (an insulated cup if I can find the b****y thing....

Put parsley seeds in cup, fish parsley seeds out of cup of tea and put them in cup of hot water.

Sow the other 200-odd modules of seeds up (4 propagators x 40 or 60 cell modules) with all the other veg seeds that I want to sow that day.  At the end of it so wup 10-12 modules with 5 or so parsley seeds in each module. Put in propagator.... During the course of the following fortnight you will generally find a few have hatched in each module. On potting on day (normally about three weeks later) if you've got a convenient  splittable one (try to sow the seeds in the corners of the modules) then seperate out to put two plants per 3" pot, plant out into the open ground a month or so later (generally mid-late April)  after hardening off....

crhisc

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 17:07:19 »
Yes, hard to germinate, I found some came up the YEAR AFTER I had sowed it! However once that happened, I let it go to seed, and that was a terrific idea, I now have a whole patch of well established parsley and I find it just keeps coming back. I can't eat all of the bloody stuff, but it fills the herb bed quite tidily!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 17:29:13 »
I think it's that they only grow in households where the woman wears the trousers....I pour boiling water on seeds, leave for a few hours, then germinate in an electric propagator, always works for me.  I shall be sowing mine next week for an early start though I have  good crop still on the plot - the local rabbit hasn't appeared this year!

We never have any problem, but then OH does it...  :-X

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:31 »
Firstly make sure its Good Friday and hopefully a full moon.
Scratch out a drill for the seeds then add boiling water from the kettle to the drill, when that has soaks away thinly sow the seeds.

Never fails!
they can only be germinated by someone who wears trousers, also they take a long time to germinate because they have to go back and forth to the devil 7 times

helps to soak them. They have a germination inhibitor, bit like walnut trees i suppose

..."three times widdershins and four times counter, with wormfinger root and toads udder...."  it's starting to sound like a Somerset cure for plague......:D :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal