Author Topic: 5th November - a nightmare!!!!  (Read 4690 times)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
5th November - a nightmare!!!!
« on: November 05, 2004, 21:16:06 »
Anyone else have problems with their pets tonight - our oldest dog, having been frightened by a firework close up a few years ago is going through agony tonight.  He is almost inconsolable, trembling and panting and has even wee'd on the carpet with fear.  I really wish that fireworks could be confined to organised displays.  I think the decibel limit is definitely being exceeded in our village - but how do you enforce these laws,  they are a joke!!!

Sorry to rant folks, but it is really upsetting to see my pet in so much distress.

Pat
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Jendaffodil

Re:5th November - a nightmare!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 21:26:55 »
Oh your poor dog, it is so frustrating not being able to explain to pets that it will be over soon and they are safe indoors.  I think the fireworks are louder tonight than they have ever been.  My family have been to an orgainised display which I think is much better but obviously people in the village have put on their own displays - it must cost them a fortune.  One of my cats seems very nervous tonight.  I can't wait for the fireworks to finish so he can settle down.  What must hedgehogs, foxes, birds etc make of it all, poor things.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 00:28:54 »
Gardengirl

I can soooooo relate.   Our poor dog is terrified of them and every year is the same.   He either tries to hide under the dining table or spends the evenings trembling in fear whilst trying to get onto your knee (not an easy job for an alsation/great dane cross!!!!).

For 50 weeks of the year he's a happy, outgoing, lively dog (despite his age) but for the last fortnight has barely set foot outside the house.   He normally goes for three fairly long walks every day along the local country roads and tracks but that's a gonna due to the local louts using the quiet, out of the way places to mess around with fireworks.

Sam has taken to staying in the house until he's absolutely desperate then diving out of the door into the backyard, doing what he needs to do, then diving back in the house.  

It's a shame that our beloved pets are reduced to this state every year due to the actions of a few, mindless yobs

CC

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 14:24:57 »
A few years ago,some teenagers thought it would be funny to throw a firework at my dog while out walking him-he was terrified.They were very lucky i was more concerned with my dog,otherwise i would have started their breaking bones.

After i grabbed hold of them and threatened to beat them to a pulp-their excuse-"we didnt think mr".
Well,im sorry-they knew excally what they were doing,so i put the fear of god into them (verbally-not physically) and went home with a quivering wreck of a dog.

I dont like them being used in the hands of novices and think they should only be made available to profesional organisers.They are afterall explosives so would anyone feel confident with a neighbour/friend/relative handling dynamite? The 18+ law clearly dont work judging by the amount of teens i see with them.And the police wont be arresting anyone breaking these laws because that would involve them actually getting off their @sses and doing something.

Sorry to rant,but do feel very strongly about this.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 17:36:08 »
awwwwwwww is such a bad night for lots of animals and next doors dog is terrified, lovely wee dog it is.. as for my cats... they spent the whole night in the window watching them, ganja was even asleep at one point.. and bubble fully understand your anger, I kept the cats in cus of what people can and do. do.. one BSTARD about 5 miles away.. bit a kittens head clean off at a childrens party... mahn he should have been jailed for fkin years.. soz about language but does get my goat.. people wether kids or adults can be so cruel.. am sending all ur pets a big cyber hug, is not a nice time for those dogs/cats/gerbills even that are scared by the bangs and the booms.. still cant believe the cats.. De-Ville even "erped" a few times..

ciaran

:-* :-* :-*

« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 17:36:47 by Ozzy »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 22:01:36 »
Fortunately our little puppy hasn't experienced any loud explosive missiles during this celebration, :o but came very close. I ventured out this evening to purchase a bottle of red wine to self indulge and whilst setting out down the garden path (without puppy) one of these scud missiles exploded above my head, :o so after I went back in to clean up :-X I set out again in my camouflaged jacket and came back unscathed and trembling. Phew! :'(

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 23:50:33 »
HI Pat hope your dog has settled down now its quieter its so sad they get so stressed poor loves. I agree there should only be organised displays. Even so the moronic few would still cause upset.
There was a dear little dog in the paper this week that someone had tied a firework to its jaws and blown half his face away i cried when i saw him he is at the vets still, but the couple who found him want to adopt him. He was such a lovely little dog.
There are things that i would like to do to them mindless thugs.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2004, 09:08:47 »
I saw the articles about the little dog Rosebud - there are some sick people in this world aren't there >:(  Last night was even worse than Friday - it was like world war three outside our bungalow - flashes and bangs that in my opinion far exceeded the decibel limit, but what can you do.  My dog was so stressed out I thought he might have a heart attack, trying to find places to hide.  He even went behind the TV cabinet which we were very worried about as there are loads of wires round there from various things, hi-fi, video etc.  In the end we had to keep him on his lead for his own safety.  I do hope that tonight we do not have a repeat performance.  Where do people get the money from, that is what I would like to know, they must have spent a fortune judging by the length of time they were setting them off.  It was gone 11.30pm by the time it quietened down.  

By the way Ciaran, I hope the person that did that to that poor little kitten was suitably punished.  I think that is the worse thing I have every heard.

Pat  

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2004, 10:59:36 »
I hate fireworks these days, they sound like nothing more than gunfire. Friday night it sounded like WW3 had broken out. Last night was less, but try explaining that to Sooty, my cat who had a very bad experince on friday night. Cats (and i suppose dogs too) hearing is much more sensitive than ours, so if Friday was bad for us, it must've been terrible for them.
Here is an acount of our experience with Sooty over this weekend:

"The fireworks over this weekend have managed to ruin
Sooty's life. Gone is the confident and full of life cat, in place a
nervy shawow of her former self. At least for the moment.

I'll explain. Friday night being the 'proper' night was of course the
worst. Sooty hid herself away in the airing cupboard to get away from
it. But of course nature had to call, and she was taken out when the
fireworks were asumed to be over. They weren't! Started up again when
she was out and scared the poor old girl so much she took flight up
the garden, and disapeared for at least an hour. We waited until the
fireworks stopped (11.00) and I went looking. She appeared from
nowhere at the top of the garden, releived to be 'rescued'.

Ever since though she has been reluctant to go out, even to do
the 'nessesaries', which is a worry as it wont do her health any good
not 'going', and not getting any exercise by going outside has menat
her walking hasnt been that good either. Unfortunately last night the
fireworks were less but very intermittent and unpredictable, in some
ways worse than the constant stuff the night before. She wouldnt go
up the garden at all for fear of a 'bang' and all she wanted to do
was go back indoors.

Heres hoping we can get her confidence back again, as she is
not 'our' Sooty at the moment."

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2004, 13:53:26 »
My sisters Jack Russel reacts in the same way as GG's, she was so worried last year that he was going to have a heart attck, because he was panting in such a distressed manner, she now puts him on tranquilisers! Poor little chap, he now has spent the whole weekend in a drugged haze.........ok I know some would like it!
We bought our Guinea Pigs in for the night Saturday, the noise was so lound from 2 doors away.
I have to say that on the very rare occasions that we have had fireworks, we have always done up a flyer and posted it around the neighbourhood telling the time we are starting and finishing so that people can ensure their pets are inside. (Wish our next door but 2 neighbours had done that Saturday night, instead of a panic in the dark trying to find 2 pertrified furry creatures!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2004, 17:54:23 »
Pat  :-* :-* :-*

suitably punished???? we all lost that day, this may seem a bit odd. but we are all responsible for each other and what drove this person to do such a thing is a reflection on us.. I will do all that I can to help stop this sort of thing, I just know/feel that everything i want from life starts with me. this person does anger me but more than anything saddens me, is a tough call punishment, sorry if this seems heavy, is just I have seen so much, is why I am who I am, and in darkness i will always see light... just me babbling

ciaran

:-* :-*  :-*

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 09:46:22 »
Some of the horses at my riding school totally freaked. One mare (Mr Aqui's favourite) fell in her stable because she was so frightened. The little shetland had to be put in a big stable so she could run around without hurting herself. Yesterday when we rode the horses were really tense. When a car back-fired near us (grrr) they all tried to run off. Luckily we got back in control.

The fireworks are so loud these days. They make me jump. Last year someone let off one about 3am - I almost had a heart attack.

I can't stand stories like that Rosebud. Poor little dog.
gone to pot :D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 14:20:14 »
 ;DI thought this new law would help..has it hell. They are still going strong at midnight..Its not for 1 day or even 1 week,, it goes on till the new year now. I really feel like getting the hose and directing it at the people doing it..We had the tele on full volume, it still doesn't help.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 18:32:14 »
I to have two bitches that pant shake and you cannot do anything with them. They are too frightened to go out to do there toilets so we have puddles.
Ok for a couple of days but when it goes on for weeks then someone has a birthday bash again fire works.
The problem with mine is the noise factor if they would reduce the noise of the bangs we would survive. It was lovely when they only happened at bonfire night weekend and displays were organised.
But when I walked into our Tesco's and saw them for sale to anyone (ok age limit) the hair on the back of my neck stood up the anger I felt I could have screamed and this was just inside the door.
So back to the old days where kids were injured by fireworks burns etc and older kids putting them through letterboxes. Dont we learn from past experences.
Bottom line I want to see is the noise level droped to an exceptable level not only do they terify animals and wildlife but OAP who remember the bombs in the war also young children in pushchairs.
Where has our common sense gone to in this country.
Ok my rant over let hope someone listens?

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 11:41:45 »
People think its just us whinging on..those who don't see the terror on the animals faces..you're right about the noise, it even frightens a lot of small children who the fireworks are supposedly for.Like you when I see them for sale I don't knw whether to stand and cry or pick them up and destroy the lot.....wish I could.

mitzzy

• Quarter Acre
  • Organic goddess
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2004, 01:10:57 »
poor animals terrible

our don't seem to react much to the fireworks

spaniel gets excited and our lakeland  pretend to be deaf !  My friend's dogs getss really scared poor thing:(

i think fireworks for the public should be banned and only the big displays should be on the 5th .

the other thing is the get let off here at new year now .  

nice at new century but now it's every year

Mags

new allotment owner excuse my ignorance !

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2004, 08:53:52 »
It was like a scene from Jaws last night in our village - 'just when you thought it was safe to go out :o' - Massive fireworks display I think at Hatfield House which is quite near to us (why have it over a week after the event) - but worse still was two local residents either side of us setting off VERY loud fireworks.  My poor dog who was only just getting over the last bout was yet again beside himself with fear - trembling, panting, looking for somewhere to hide.

WHEN OH WHEN is it ever going to end >:( :-X >:(

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2004, 10:39:25 »
 ;DIt doesn't end here until its so wet they can't go out...even then its a temporary lull...I'm so scared its going to affect her heart...Don't these people have animals...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal