Author Topic: What is a good long life plant for my new baby?  (Read 2028 times)

jono

• Quarter Acre
What is a good long life plant for my new baby?
« on: February 03, 2010, 19:04:04 »
Hi Folks,
Myself and my partner are expecting our 2nd child in about 6 weeks.
What I would like is to to plant a seed ( or several to enhance chances) of a plant or indoor tree etc  that will last for years and years and will be exactly the same age as them and something we can give to them when their older with a nice story.
Now I need your help! What do you suggest I plant???????
Many thanks,
Jono

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: What is a good long life plant for my new baby?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:05:23 »
difficult one, Jono, we planted an apple tree when our first son was born, it's 20'x20' now and he's 36..hope someone can give you some smaller suggestions  ;D

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:25:09 »
do you want it to be able to take it with you if you move house?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 10:18:58 »
What I lovely idea.  I think I would be too worried that the plant might die. 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:05 »
The longest living thing I know is the 'Aspidistra' it thrives on neglect, its virtually un-killable.

My one is at least 25 years old, might even be over 35 years old.

Its not the prettiest plant but being an evergreen you will always have leaves & colour.

If ( unlike me) you look after it and keep the leaves clean and shiny it can look quite nice anywhere in the house even the shadiest spot in the house!

Cactus are another long living plant that does not require a lot of aftercare!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 13:06:28 »
A coffee tree can last 60 years, most varieties will get to around 8' as a houseplant but arabica nana is much more compact only getting to around 3'. Seed are fairly easy to obtain but germination is slow.

detailista

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 13:11:10 »
How about a money tree/plant!  don't know if you can grow those from seed though, mine is from a cutting.

What a lovely idea :) 

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 17:10:28 »
I too was going to suggest a money plant.  We brought ours from my parent's home when my Mum died 15 years ago- it's very healthy and glossy, and any bits that get broken off will easily become its babies!  We planted fruit trees for our children, but when we moved, they had to stay put!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 17:18:13 »
 How about a rubber plant or a MONSTERA DELICOSA? SPELLING,
we had one for donkeys years they are such lovely indoor plants.
We called him Henry very tall about 8ft & elegant looking lovely shapped leaves not to much looking after, sadly i lost him after my first garandson was born i was so taken up with such a little treasure i forgot to look after Henry untill it was to late :'(. Good luck whatever you choose JONO ;D ;D.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 17:38:40 »
What I lovely idea.  I think I would be too worried that the plant might die. 

Yes, we planted an apple tree and two roses for our three and only one is still alive (just!). Must say I do feel a bit superstitious about it,but the kids are all still fit and healthy!

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 18:19:41 »
Japanese Knotweed.   8)

It will thrive with neglect, It will out live you, and the next five, maybe six generations. It will even follow you if you move.

If you dont move too far, it'll even be there before you !

Taxi !

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 19:17:03 »
Evening,
Many thanks for your responses, I am really after a potted house plant something that can move with us and we can give to them when they move out. Not wishing the years away just think it would be something nice for them. I like the money plant idea, my mum has a chesse/rubber plant which is massive and probably older then me. What i'm thinking is plant 4 if all four grow then give one each to the grandparents and then one for us and one for baby later in life.
Any other thoughts?

small

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 20:50:09 »
If you started with one little spider plant, you would not only end up with an enormous spider plant, but it will provide plenty of 'babies' to distribute round the family. They can go on for twenty years to my knowledge.
Something robust like a sweetheart plant will last a long time and would be very easy to take cuttings from as needed, same with a tradescantia.
When my gran had to move in 1976 me and my mum divided her huge aspidistra, which she had certainly had since 1930, we have since redivided several times including a plant for my daughter when she moved out ten years ago, I doubt if any of the original leaves are left but it 'feels' like continuity.
Best of luck, it's a lovely idea, hope all goes well with the new baby.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal