Author Topic: CLIMBING PEAS  (Read 10810 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: CLIMBING PEAS
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 09:02:32 »
'Show Perfection' is my favourite tall pea, I get mine from Robinsons and grow them up wigwams. Very good cropper and you get about 11 peas per pod, very sweet.

I love Golden Sweet for looks when it is flowering, but found the peas mealy and tasteless I'm afraid.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 21:36:15 »
I wondered about the Golden Sweet - yellow mange tout with two-toned blue flowers!

I grew some of these from Real seeds, not very impressed but I think I started them off rather late not sure they liked the warm spell.  Though I understand if you manage to cross them with a purple podded one you can get red pods and I would really like to achieve that.  See the blog by Daughter of the Soil.

you really need learn to use a search engine.
Whoops.  Looks like you are right there.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:09 »
I notice that seedfest no longer sell individual packets - only veg collections at 39.99  :o, and that Green Arrow are not climbing peas - only grow 28 - 30". Perhaps we all need to be careful with search engines  ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 10:35:44 »
you really need learn to use a search engine.

Whoops.  Looks like you are right there.

Or you could just keep posting here! That's the nice thing about a forum rather than a boring old search. Here you get real knowledge and experience on taste, cropping, care, as opposed to sales sites, wikipedia..... :D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 11:36:42 »
See the blog by Daughter of the Soil.

http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.com/

Wow thats a pretty looking pea, glad you said about that site, ty
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 14:41:49 »
Real Seeds now Have Champion of England, and claim it can reach ten feet! I believe Telephone, which they also have, is virtually identical to Alderman, but I haven't compared them myself.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 15:41:31 »
I agree Golden Sweet are gorgeous when growing and the pods are really easy to see and pick, athough they are not my favourite mange-tout to eat. I'm going to try Winterkefe this year.

I really like Simpson's Special and Alderman is good too. I prefered Purple Podded to Lancashire Lad, just that bit sweeter, but I would be happy to grow either again.

If you have not already found some, I've got a few Lancashire Lad and Golden Sweet spare if you would like a few to try Duke
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 19:01:07 »
These are the ones I would really like to grow.

http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.com/2008/07/red-podded-pea-update.html

I tried it this year without success.  I fertilised my yellow podded with purple podded and carefully marked the flowers and some pesky mouse ran off with the seeds!!! :-\

I grew a wall of purple podded last year to keep out the north west wind, they are very hardy.  The effect was stunning.  Great too for  grazing on the peas of a morning.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 08:13:15 »
What did you grow them up Digeroo?  My attempt at tall peas last year were quite pathetic - didn't like canes and string and then blew over in the wind.

And....how do people protect the tall ones (the mature pods not the baby plants) from birds?

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 10:33:57 »
These are the ones I would really like to grow.

http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.com/2008/07/red-podded-pea-update.html

I tried it this year without success.  I fertilised my yellow podded with purple podded and carefully marked the flowers and some pesky mouse ran off with the seeds!!! :-\

I grew a wall of purple podded last year to keep out the north west wind, they are very hardy.  The effect was stunning.  Great too for  grazing on the peas of a morning.

Wow those red pods are beautiful, her blog is so interesting and certainly infectious.
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 14:24:43 »
The one I really want to try is Kent Blue; I probably need to join HSL to get it. It's the only one I've seen apart from the Carlin Pea which looks like a medieval type, so it's interesting from a historical point of view.

PS I just did join. I noticed they had Carlin Pea as well, so that's two birds with one stone.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 14:49:02 by Robert_Brenchley »

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 09:59:46 »
See if you can contact her through her blog, maybe she would let you have some Kent Blue. I can't seem to find it any where else, except maybe the american source she got it from.(actually the american source bit could be wrong)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:14:41 by Mortality »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 10:13:11 »
Early on all my peas were protected by plastic bottles.  My first year growing PPP I had quite a show of flowers and suddening a pigeon discovered the feast and stripped the lot.  I was devasted  However I wound cotton between the canes so that if it was touched all the canes started moving.  This seemed to discourage them and I was delighted to find that the plants produced more shoots lower down and after quite a short time I was back in peas. 

I also rigged up a plastic bird of prey.  Simply the outline on a piece of plastic stuck to a yogurt pot. 

I have more problem from mice who I have found climbing almost 2 metres off the ground. 

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 10:16:38 »

I have more problem from mice who I have found climbing almost 2 metres off the ground. 

That I think will also be my problem, we occasionally get mice in the house and I'm betting there will be plenty in the garden.  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal