Author Topic: The Great Spud Challenge 2010  (Read 33007 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: The Great Spud Challenge 2010
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2010, 18:31:04 »
I took the covers off my soil earlier and tipped some council compost over it and shall plant out three rockets tomorrow.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2010, 18:42:09 »
Fingers crossed the handful of Foremost I bought specially for this challenge will be planted out early next week!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2010, 10:23:10 »
Beautiful sunny day here in Bristol am tempted to plant my spuds  ::) Hasnt rained for about 4 days so soil is dry and have had the area covered since i dug it over. What do you think?

Lucy

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2010, 16:31:03 »
I gottem in!!

The ground on our lower plot - the sheltered one - was looking good yesterday, so this morning I planted eight Lady C. No cover, but I earthed them up slightly. Fingers crossed!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2010, 17:32:08 »
I planted four rocket this afternoon
I dug a hole and put some shredded paper in the hole
Then put in the spud and covered with council compost and the soil mixed together
Then put some warmer compost on top
Then covered with a water bottle cloche.
 ;D ;D ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2010, 17:54:56 »
I had thought that the south would beat the north but at the moment the night time temperatures are actually warmer in the north.  The high pressure is sucking the cold from central europe across the south while in scotland the wind is coming off the north atlantic.  Very cold a few nights ago more than an inch of ice in the water butt so hope the tatties still ok. 

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2010, 19:25:49 »
It depends where you are in Scotland. Here in Glasgow it was down to -6c last night inside my bubble wrap tent inside the greenhouse, so still too early to sow in there I think. Outside ground frozen solid, so too early for potatoes!! I have covered my early potato bed with clear polythene to try and warm up the soil.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2010, 01:50:13 »
Hey ho.. I got some Charlottes via a very special person in the UK,..... ssshh.....a million thanks again.

They are now planted  and I have dug up the mystery  supermarket ones planted in pots that the squirrells kept nicking .Charlotte and her sisters are being treated like Queens in my bedroom pots, they are not going anywhere near a place that the squirrells can get them till John has made the wire netting lids he had promised

I feel I am in the land of the living again..but still no seed spuds available here yet!!!

Whoever wins this can't possibly feel any better than I do with my beloved Charlottes.. but I am going for broke now!!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2010, 22:51:57 »
My one "kestrel" which I popped into a black sack in the unheated conservatory three weeks ago is showing a bit of leaf!  I've been away for a week in sunny Scotland, so I don't know when it actaully showed through.  How big should I let it grow before I cover it with more compost?

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2010, 16:34:37 »
I planted a handful of Foremost earlies in the ground this morning!   :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2010, 18:43:06 »
Oops should have posted this a few days ago, 3 Arran Pilot planted in raised bed on 6th March, earthed up, but no fleece no nothing :o

Also planted some more Arran Pilot and Pentlan Javlin in the polytunnel and a few in bags in the greenhouse just to see how they compare to the garden ones.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2010, 17:31:41 »
Thanks for the link Flighty - that reassures me about the amount of compost I'm going to be ploughing through  ::)

Still haven't planted mine - waiting for keys to new house so I don't have one more heavy thing to lug through. Wonder if the solicitor will move quicker if I tell him the tattys need planting :(

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2010, 18:22:29 »
stuck 3 - 4 in black sack in greenhouse towads end of Februay.  Haven't seen ANYTHING come through yet!!

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2010, 21:39:42 »
My bag of spuds have all produced some wonderful leaves so ive earthed them up a bit and hope to have some great spuds on 5th June.

The rest of my first earlies went in today and I hop eot have one of my lots of second earlies in the ground tomorrow. With maincrops in next week or the week after.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2010, 11:11:19 »
Nothing happening with my single potato in a pot  :(
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2010, 18:51:20 »
I've put a few more rockets in a pot in my back garden.     ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2010, 18:55:01 »
I have an assorment of heritage spuds en route froma spud breeder and some TSP as well so I think spuds are going to be fun this year.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2010, 18:22:09 »
I've just come back from the lottie and planted two lines of rocket.  ;D ;D ;D 

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2010, 19:04:19 »
Planted two rows of early potatoes today. Soil temperature was 8c after being covered with clear polythene for a week. Amazed at the Swift potatoes that I planted in a bucket in the greenhouse about three weeks ago. They have now reached the top of the bucket!
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal