Author Topic: The Great Spud Challenge 2010  (Read 32505 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: The Great Spud Challenge 2010
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 20:25:29 »
hahaha, he digs the holes and i put the spud in, he covers them and I mulch them as they need it so I'm not going to let him out on his own  ;D

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 20:43:13 »
How about the new boy on the block the great Raymondo, is he going to compete against you, or are you as one.  :-*       ;D ;D ;D

hi cornykev    the lesser raymondo  here   growing and me   can't be done  have a memory challenge  long story     so here is a quicker one     again for fun we had a heaviest onion competition on our site last year    the better half of manics   left the growing to me    long story short   it was pitiful    i came in last   the onion seemed to have been eaten  and barely held together for the weigh in         so this year our comp    longest leak     i'm on back row again           thanks for the welcome corny

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 20:51:35 »
hahaha, he digs the holes and i put the spud in, he covers them and I mulch them as they need it so I'm not going to let him out on his own  ;D

the  better half        she speaky          the truth

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2010, 20:15:42 »
I'm growing this year: Maris Peer, Pentland Javelin, Arran Pilot, Foremost & Cara.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 14:16:18 »
I won't be planting my GSC 2010 spuds for a couple of weeks yet as the plot is rather soggy!
Mind you it's not quite as bad as some of the neighbouring plots such as this one!

[attachment=1]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2010, 15:29:17 »
I think there could be quite a few in the same boat as you Flighty, until I look under the coverings I don't know if I can get mine in this weekend.    ???   :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2010, 15:40:58 »
I lifted my first Swift earlies ten weeks after planting last year so on that basis I've got until the end of March to plant them!

If it's still soggy then I reckon we should change it to a rice growing challenge!  :)
http://edography.net/images/p1020861-rice%20growing.jpg
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2010, 15:45:38 »
I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit, there's plenty of time yet. I would have put the oca, Chinese artichokes and tuberous peas in today but everything's covered in snow.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2010, 17:51:55 »
I'm going to drag som epots home where I can keep an eye on them and get a couple of Swift, and a couple of Rocket in along with some Oca into pots, but I'll be GH'ing them, not part of the competition (except as a display category)... I want to find out how fast I can get some spuds... the competition ones will go in at the start of March and will be a single row (mixed) Swift, Rocket, Lady Christl and Mimi. The whole lot need to be out by the start of June cos I'll want the space for squash..... if it works it'll mean I can get some uber-tight rotations looking for 2 "proper" crops (salads don't count BTW) through in a year, two years running.... early potatoes-squash-broad-beans-leeks.... Of course with the way squash grow and how you might want to harvest potatoes it would be possible to just selectively dig out spuds in "holes" in a patch and harvest to keep them from competing with the squash.... that would allow me to have second earlies and maybe even early mains in the mix too, though you'd need to do some labelling of the spuds as to what was where so that it was easy to get the right ones at the right time....

It would also give me the space to grow a big patch of broad beans, currently it tends to be odd rows poked in at random, if I can gain an entire rotation plot for them I could harvest enough off the early set and freeze them
chrisc

chrisc

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2010, 10:25:06 »
We are doing the competition planting today or this weekend right?  :)
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2010, 13:17:04 »
Thats right, but I think most will leave it a while as the ground is so wet.  ??? :-\     ;D ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2010, 14:28:16 »
I've just come back from the lottie and its still very wet, I've planted two rockets in toy tubs, but will go back tomorrow and pull back the covers and dig over the ground and see how it is.    ;D ;D ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2010, 14:35:02 »
we're going to take the cloche off, pull the cardboard off, plant the spuds and re-cover tomorrow, hopefully, the ground will stay warm enough for the spuds to grow  ;D

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2010, 14:35:54 »
had a look at our ground today  under cardboard and a cloche looks fine   planting time tomorrow

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2010, 16:39:13 »
Just popped one Kestrel in the bottom of a strong black sack rolled right down.  It's in the very cold unheated conservatory- is that cheating?  It had only been chitting since mid January, so the shoots are still very short- I'll leave the others until later!

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2010, 17:18:00 »
Have you not got any earlies to put in, no its not cheating and if you was as your a monkey hanger I'd turn a blind eye.  ;)      ;D ;D ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2010, 18:03:40 »
Repaired the large  cold-frame today, 'Sharpes Express' going in there tomorrow, and a couple of 'Rocket' going in the small cold-frame as well.
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Hosta

• Half Acre
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2010, 18:44:40 »
Its tomorrow  :o ??  Mine haven't sprouted yet  :-\

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2010, 19:00:13 »