Author Topic: The Great Spud Challenge 2010  (Read 32415 times)

Barkie

• Not So New ...
Re: The Great Spud Challenge 2010
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2010, 12:11:34 »
Barkie I'm going to have to feed them soon, any idea where I can get Rocket fuel from.    ;D ;D ;D

I would use whatever you feel comfreytable with using  ;D ;D ;D

BTW How do I post pics on here?

This is the first time I've used containers for potatoes and some of them are going mad.

The 2 half 55gallon drum Mid March batches which were planted 5" deep with 12 inches below the rim got too tall for the dustbin lid frost protection so I earthed up and draped an old sheet over the top, then the haulms got higher than the rim so I had to stick stakes in and drape the sheet over that.

Builder hasn't come to remove concrete so nowhere to plant Pink Fir Apple or Rooster still. They are Extremely well chitted now ::)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2010, 22:59:06 »
How's everyone's spuds coming on?
This was mine yesterday.
[attachment=1]
You couldn't make it up!

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2010, 23:04:33 »
Blimet Tony yours are doing fantastic, mine look like they are dying off. and no they haven t been frosted.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2010, 07:38:00 »
ours are doing great, put the cloche back on last week, when it was frosty..now got pea sized spuds  ;D

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2010, 07:52:47 »
Dug this one up by accident yesterday. Took the photo then put it back!  :)
[attachment=1]
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #225 on: May 21, 2010, 17:52:59 »
My ground ones were frosted,  :'(  but the ones in the tubs are going OK, nothing like tones though, I reckon he's rigged up a sun lamp on them.      ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #226 on: May 21, 2010, 17:56:03 »
My ground ones were frosted,  :'(  but the ones in the tubs are going OK, nothing like tones though, I reckon he's rigged up a sun lamp on them.      ;D ;D ;D ;D

me too, mine are in a tattie bag on a south facing wall and are nothing like Tones

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #227 on: May 21, 2010, 19:10:31 »
mine are triffid like, can't wait for the P-Day and soon will be tempted to have a poke around -mine are in tubs in g/h  8)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2010, 02:40:50 »
Mine are doing fine, on the lottie now still in their pots and filled up to the brim with soil.They have raised an eyebrow or two..folks think I am  weird having them in pots, I am told the mice will get them.. Blooming eck, it was never this hard to grow spuds in the UK!!XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2010, 08:18:48 »
well one of the taties, out of five in me bag has black leg, so ive whipped that one out and hope the rest are OK.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2010, 19:42:35 »
Jeannine maybe the pots are not the correct colour, you'll have the association chasing you or maybe you've brought alien soil to the lottie, when you've finnished with it you may have to do as they did in the great escape and mix your soil in with the dirt through your trousers.   ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2010, 21:00:50 »
You got that one right!! They are in potting soil..oh no, not legal.. I am allowed to use peat though.

Pots are OK they are green.

I just know I am going to get myself into trouble before long.

XX Jeannine

Oh just remembered my Mr Big Peas are treated...anyone got a miners light they can lend me.!!

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2010, 10:39:54 »
One week to go..... ;D
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2010, 11:34:22 »
I will just nip out and give mine a bucket of water in the hope there is still time for the spuds to do a bit of last minute fattening up.

My plants have become rather leggy but have not even the faintest hint of a flower.  Has anyone got a prefered dish to serve them with?  I have to say I like roast lamb with my first broad beans.  I shall serve mine with parsley so if there is nothing there I know I can still enjoy the parsley. 

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2010, 21:34:59 »
I've not got any flowers on my rockets yet.      :-\   ;D ;D ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2010, 22:12:05 »
Daft as it seems our traditional first feast of the growing year started with my parents in the war.

Mum's birthday,June 2nd, Dad always managed to get one or two almost ripe toms from the greenhouse to go with the first very small new spuds,asparagus,and a few early peas, to this he carved a treasured tin of corn beef and we used the butter allowance for the week on the spuds!! I was only little when the war ended but the tradition carried on.He had a rule. " you can have as many spuds as you like but you scrape your own!!"

I have carried this on but this year sadly I don't have an asparagus bed, my peas are lates, tomatoes not in a greenhouse and not even flowers in my spuds, but I will do it anyway courtesy of the local supermarket. These traditions have to be carried on. At least no rationing on the butter to worry about.

XX Jeannine

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2010, 14:14:00 »
I HAVE EATEN MY FIRST SPUDS! for this year and they were delicious. Agata variety planted on 22 Feb. so 98 days in the ground. And they are a good size, many about 4 or 5 cm in diameter and at least 4 (from 2 plants!) that were 6 cm diameter! From 2 plants I got enough to fill an ice cream container! I am dead pleased!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2010, 17:53:42 »
I haven't planted mine yet all are chitted and look healthy enough - keep forgetting to do them

but am now so ashamed of owning up to this, so i'm going out now to plant them.

Maybe I could start a new thread titled 'The (laziest) planting spud challenge'

Any takers . . .

Debs   :-[ 

skintnbitter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2010, 16:37:32 »
Am I right in thinking D-day is the 6th June?

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2010, 17:05:27 »
P-Day is 5th - 7th June

can't wait  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal