Author Topic: Asparagus plants  (Read 1585 times)

Wheatyman

• Not So New ...
Asparagus plants
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:34:39 »
Hi, planted all fifty T&M asparagus seeds last year and have kept them in my greenhouse since, 45 germinated.  Re-potted most of them as the roots were coming out of the plant pot bottoms. Most plants still look healthy.  My question is when would be the best time to plant them out and any recommendation on how best to prepare the bed.

Thanks
Wheatyman

Digindep

• Half Acre
Re: Asparagus plants
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 14:20:35 »
The ones I grew from seed last year went in at the ed of July/begining of August.
Well prepared bed, plenty of manure, old potting compost and plot compost.
All this was done some months previous. Keeping the weeds down all the while.

Trenches in a "W" shape , so as the crowns sit on top of the high middle  of the"W" and roots spread into the lower trench of the "W" shape...
Depending on how big an area about 15 - 20 inches between plants..

Hope that helps , others may differ  or offer better explanations.... ;)
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 14:40:28 »
have a look here, and read the pdf (it's got all the info you'll ever need about asparagus)  ;)
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,57554.0.html
You couldn't make it up!

Wheatyman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 20:20:24 »
Thanks, for all the advice. The pdf file is excellent.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 21:32:26 »
Having not read the article....
I planted mine in March last year, as per Hessayon.
By August virtually all of the 60 plants planted had 4 fronds each all about 3ft high, and by late October the largest of them had 7 fronds all the same height. Given the mild start to the autumn they didn't stop growing until well into December.
Getting them in earlier is better, especially if you want to have harvestable asparagus the year after next.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 22:32:23 »
Having not read the article....

Getting them in earlier is better, especially if you want to have harvestable asparagus the year after next.
why wait that long to harvest? (read the article ;) )
You couldn't make it up!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 20:08:15 »
I have decided to try growing asparagus for the first time. I have started to prepare a bed for them (in place of a old row of summer raspberries) and plan to build a raised bed to give them the drainage I understand they need (that area of the garden gets very damp at times). In the meantime I have recently purchased 6 crowns of Gijnlim from a local garden centre (supplied 2 to a packet). I have since realised i might have purchased a bit too early, not only is the bed not ready, but I read in my books that asparagus crowns should be planted in march at the earliest (ideally April).

So how early can i safely plant and what can i do to keep the crowns alive until then? Any good potting them up or packing the into trays of damp compost?

Thanks

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 20:24:39 »
keep them in dry-ish compost, in a frost-free but cold place until mid-march, then plant out.  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 17:44:20 »
keep them in dry-ish compost, in a frost-free but cold place until mid-march, then plant out.  ;)

Thanks

The packets they came in have compost already in them. Would it be OK to leave them in the packets then? I have got them out in my cool but dry garage where i keep all my seed packets. I dont see why they shouldnt be alright there, but i could put them in seed trays of dryish compost in the greenhouse if this would be better for them?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal