Author Topic: Hands Dirty  (Read 1012 times)

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
Hands Dirty
« on: January 30, 2010, 14:29:22 »
Was great to go to the allotment this morning to do some work for the first time this year, work restricts the time i get up there so was great to say hi to some of the other plot holders that i hadnt seen for a few months.  The plot is in reasonable state  but i noticed a sort of crust on the unprotected ground, im assuming this was caused by the rain and the snow, so next year im going to make sure its covered or has a green manure in place.  And best of all my hand are dirty and the skin is rough and dry....love that feeling.

w00dy.
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Hands Dirty
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 14:34:45 »
Yep it's a great feeling... and the bare soil has "capped" can be a problem especially on clay based soils because small seedlings like carrots can't push through it..  :-X

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 15:11:01 »
I am looking forward to going on Monday our agreement goes from Feb to Dec so 1st Feb is the start of the new year.  It is supposed to be sunny and slightly warmer so should be great.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 20:07:06 »
I went this morning but unlike you w00dy I didn't see a soul, there was a car up the other end but nobody I knew and after half hour I was on my own.
I had a general clear up pulled up and put away some bottles, canes and markers, then cleared and composted some old crops.
I emptied a dalek and started filling it with the old crops and a bag of kitchen waste with the  bottom layer being chopped up corn stalks.
Didn't get my hands dirty though as I had two pairs of gloves on, then went down the club to watch the football and have a couple of shandies.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal