Author Topic: Human Rats, but not Haiti  (Read 1342 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Human Rats, but not Haiti
« on: January 26, 2010, 19:32:34 »
Hi Y'all,

Well I suppose it has to happen to someone, somewhere, and this week it was our turn to be attacked by human rats.  The night before last every shed on our site was broken into, and loads of stuff stolen.  Luckily, nothing was taken from my shed, but then I keep the strimmer and mower, etc at home, pain tho it is to drag them up there every time I need to use them. 

Can anyone out there tell me what pleasure can be had from driving up a steep rutted track in the middle of a freezing night, tramping round a muddy allotment site, to break into sheds?   Have they have nothing better to do than dish out aggro to a load of people who have never done them harm, and whose only aim is to grow a few veggies etc, and enjoy the fresh air. Poor sad gits.

It's a rotten world folks (but better a damaged shed than everything lost in an earthquake, so let's get stuff in proportion!)

Night night all, things can only get better and Spring is just around the corner.

If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

lewic

• Hectare
Re: Human Rats, but not Haiti
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 19:59:53 »
If this happened on our site I'd be tempted to leave out some tasty treats for them that they couldnt resist. Perhaps some lovely chocolates or beer laced with a potent but legal hallucinogenic eg Datura... and a strong laxative/emetic of course.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
You couldn't make it up!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 16:17:52 »
 That is just dreadfull , i am so sorry for all the people who have suffered loss of there property.  Yes indeed they are worse than vermin.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 16:25:16 »
join this thread?
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,47933.msg482939.html#msg482939

I was just going to mention that it happened to us last year, then I saw Tony's link to my original post.

There must be something about freezing cold nights that brings them out, I bet the real rats are tucked up in their warm nests somewhere.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 18:26:24 »
It's cos in January few people go to their allotment but lots of them stay at home all weekend and through the evenings, so "normal" burglary is more dangerous.... that's according ot one of our local coppers anyway.... He reckons a night with rain will see half the burglaries that the smae night without gets and it will also see a big reduction in all forms of post-pub aggro except in the taxi queues, so if it's raining they stick their transits near the cab queues, if it's dry then they'll be halfway between the "fiesty" pubs

chrisc

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 18:52:17 »
This makes me so mad. When we lived in the UK my OH was was a self-empoyed joiner so had to keep his tools in his van.  One night many if his tools were stolen and because of the cost of insurance we had to replace them.  Every night after a hard day at work he had to off-load his tools into the hallway. 

How can you be expected to that on an allotment! Grrrr >:(

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 22:45:08 »
On our site a number of sheds were broken into and stuff stolen, mainly strimmers etc.  Someone said that people that are going to nick stuff watch to see who brings their tools with them and who stores them so they know which sheds to break into.
The Tuscan Beaneater

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal