Author Topic: I've got a bully  (Read 2542 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
I've got a bully
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:36 »
Over the last few days i have noticed the number of birds at my feeders as(i don't have fill them up every day now) gone down,at first i put it down to the snow going,or may be a cat or the Sparrowhawk that  i see from time to time.yesterday feeling a bit under the weather( I've had this bloody cold since Xmas) i thought I'd have a day by the fire with a good book n a bottle a plonk as ya do,that the mystery of the missing birds was solved. Its a lone male Blackcap,all it doe's all day is chase all the birds off my 4 feeders,be it a Blackbird,Sparrow,Blue tit,Great tit,Starling and this morning a Wood Pigeon this little bugger will not let them at the feeders,for such a small bird he's a BIG BULLY.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: I've got a bully
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 12:00:04 »
Wow! He is a bully!  :o
What to do? He sounds as if he's got it taped there. Maybe you should give the other birds a pep talk!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 23:21:04 »
I have the same problem Froglegs - but with a male AND a female blackcap both doing the bullying. They go for anything that comes near the feeders or the seeds I scatter for the ground-feeding birds. It was the same last year, but then only the male was a bully - seems he's taught his partner his bullying ways. The only birds which seem to ignore them are the goldfinches - safety in numbers? there are often 10 of them on the sunflower heart and niger feeders at the same time.

Tricia

halfofmanic

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 17:59:45 »
Over the last few days i have noticed the number of birds at my feeders as(i don't have fill them up every day now) gone down,at first i put it down to the snow going,or may be a cat or the Sparrowhawk that  i see from time to time.yesterday feeling a bit under the weather( I've had this bloody cold since Xmas) i thought I'd have a day by the fire with a good book n a bottle a plonk as ya do,that the mystery of the missing birds was solved. Its a lone male Blackcap,all it doe's all day is chase all the birds off my 4 feeders,be it a Blackbird,Sparrow,Blue tit,Great tit,Starling and this morning a Wood Pigeon this little bugger will not let them at the feeders,for such a small bird he's a BIG BULLY.

I've had this bloody cold since Xmas
no how you feel about about the cold  me and mrs manic can't seem to shake ours off   ok in the morning go to plotty   and feel crapo  in the afternoon hope your big bully gets fed up

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 19:58:01 »
My bully is a pied wagtail.  I have now moved some of the feeders around the garden and hung them from trees.  The bully cannot be at several places at the same time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal