Author Topic: good looking veg  (Read 2174 times)

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
good looking veg
« on: January 24, 2010, 21:15:59 »
What's the best-looking veg out there? Good looking flowers, fruits, leaves, etc? I know taste is the most important thing, but I like having fun with my plot too! Am compiling a list for the blog.
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Re: good looking veg
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 21:21:07 »
What's the best-looking veg out there? Good looking flowers, fruits, leaves, etc? I know taste is the most important thing, but I like having fun with my plot too! Am compiling a list for the blog.

I like the unusual, so white cucumbers, purple carrots, etc..
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 22:13:14 »
Purple Cape Cauli and Burgundy Red Potatoes every time...  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 22:17:00 »
I think the flowers on Borage are hard to beat.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 23:07:04 »
Whitecurrants with the sun coming through the berries, golden beetroot - great in stews, aubergines with purple stems and violet fruits (slim jim), chillies with purple stems and black fruits (black hungarian), purple artichokes (but avoid the ones with a thorn at the tip of each scale), black figs, apple trees with golden young bark and big pink flowers (roughly half my heritage collection), purple seedless grapes on a sunny wall, etc. etc.

Food plants are the real and talented beauties of horticulture - flowers are just blowsy tarts (apologies to Withnail & I).
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 23:16:06 »
Pink Fir Apple spuds and Kirschklumpen tomtoes :D Beauty is in  the eye of the beholder......

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 23:41:27 »
Red Celery and Bright lights chard, some of the toms are great too Silvery Fir tree with it's pretty foliage and some of the bicolour toms, Copia or even Ananas Noire. Fairytale aubergine, Riot hot pepppers,Cardoons. Some of the beans, there is name escapes me has several different coloured flowers, I think it is Sadies Horse bean, Cheddar cauliflower. Yugoslavian Finger fruit squash,looks like a cows udder but pretty,Batman pumpkins,Dragon Tongue beans,red brussel sprouts, Calico popcorn with it's multi coloured cobs,some of the kales are lovelyl,emon cucumbers,purple kohlrabi., they are some stunning lettuces,I love Freckles, red spring onions,many of the squasheseg crookneck,festival,turks turban and the blues like Triamble.

Oh this is fun, what a super plot you will have.

Sorry for the tphos my spellcheck won't go

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 18:12:12 »
I don't think you can beat dead straight rows of onions and leeks, doesn't matter the variety though red onions are rather gorgeous.  Spoils the look though when they run to seed.....

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 19:14:38 »
my huge fielderkraut and kalibos cabbage were the best looking veggies, plus the sunflowers with squash winding through them  :)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 19:20:26 »
oh the spiral cauliflower/broccoli, Romanesco.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 19:26:05 »
Cavalo Nero Kale (not mine though, as its only about 4" high and decimated by slugs). Cardoons... artfully planted rows of carrots interspersed with spring onions... pumpkins.. purple sage and french lavender.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 20:44:43 »
I too love the spiralling romanescos - like a 3D version of those mandelbrot set simulations that were all the rage 10 years ago - http://www.linesandcolors.com/2006/06/08/benoit-mandelbrot/
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 20:53:01 »
I too love the spiralling romanescos - like a 3D version of those mandelbrot set simulations that were all the rage 10 years ago - http://www.linesandcolors.com/2006/06/08/benoit-mandelbrot/

Cut a spiralling romanesco today from the plot (along with some purple sprouting broc, main stem).

Crystal apple/lemon cucumbers (small, roundish, yellow cucumbers), pumpkins (turks turban looks interesting, though not grown it myself).
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:55:14 »
Loving the lists chaps! Personally I love bright lights chard, especially at the moment as along with cavolo nero (which looks like a lovely palm tree), the chard is the only thing that's giving my veg patch any glam at all!

keep the suggestions coming!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:38 »
Swiss Chard for me too !! Borlotti Beans are really pretty !!

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal