Author Topic: Childhood Toys and Games  (Read 5111 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Childhood Toys and Games
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 11:35:36 »
Two girls turning two  very long skipping ropes and a few of us would jump in together, we used to chant as we skipped, they went fast too. Handstands, walking on your hands with your skirt tucked in your navy blue knickers, cartwheels and the splits, I could do them all, probably why I can't move now !!

Grass hills in the rain on a dustbin lid.

Cats cradle with a bit of string.

Catching newts with a net made from a nylon stocking, we got so excited when we found the colourful male one .

There was a small comic/book was it called Schoolfriend?

and all this after spending your pocket money on the penny tray..

Doing your own jumble sale in frontof your house.

Playing dress up and wearing your sisters high heels.

Drinking liquorice water or vinegar and water.

Did anybody go to danceclass, I did from aged 2!!

Saturday morning pictures for sixpence , and oh the serials, Flash Gordon ect

The Rupert Bear annuals, I still have them going back to thr '40s

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:37:18 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 11:52:42 »
Yes all of those..............and sugar slapped between two slices of bread.

Jam if you were lucky............made sure Mum never saw you making the sugar thing. :)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 12:01:23 »
I found this site a few years ago.  ;D

For those with a sweet tooth and memories of the 1p chew.

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/index.php

Unfortunately my favourite 'milk teeth' are no longer made  :'(
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 15:56:38 »
I had a Rosebud doll and remember being behind the sofa at my party waiting for friends to arrive with the doll. The idea being I would pull the cord in the back of her neck which made her talk and they would wonder where the noise came from. However left the doll there for a moment and my brother came along and managed to break it so she would no longer talk. I was very upset.

I also loved the Enid Blyton books and would often read them at night when I was supposed to be asleep and would imagine my self at boarding school- Malory Towers and St Clares. I saved all my Enid Blyton books for my son, about 6 months ago I threw them all out as they were very tatty and he was 15. Just before we were to go on holiday he asked me where they were and was so upset when I told him I had thrown them out as he was now 15 and thought he had finished with them. He went to the library and got all the famous fives ones out and took them on holiday. I took the opportunity of reading them all again and we had Good laugh about ginger beer, tomato soup, cold ham cuts and plums.

My grand parents used to cut the Rupert Bear stories from the Express Newspaper and used to send them to me each week when they wrote to me. I also had an Rupert annual given to me by an Uncle.

We made the plaster of paris moulds noddy and Big Ears, my father painted them and we sold these at a Fete or Fair. They looked quite good.

I also remember playing elastic in the playground and doing handstands up against the wall and seeing how many of us could do the handstand on top of each other before we all fell down

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 17:55:33 »
Was that called French Skipping Lady of the Land?  My Grandma gave me all the elastic in her sewing box so we could play this, we ended up with so many knots where it used to break!

Ninny

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 23:54:28 »
My Dad grew cabbages in the back garden.  When I had no-one to play with I would collect the caterpillars and make a school/orphanage on the inspection cover, using stones and leaves etc. for walls. I always included a toilet.  I did become a teacher!

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 08:57:42 »
I was lucky in that my dad was in the RAF amd went all over the world from where he used to bring me and my brother toys. Once he went on an unaccompanied tour for a year to Gan and brought me back a tin washing machine and it worked! I could wash dolls clothes and hankies!! Brother got an aeroplane that you could move the passengers back and forth.

I loved Enids B's Tales of Toyland and the Bunty and Jackie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal