Author Topic: Childhood Toys and Games  (Read 5110 times)

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Childhood Toys and Games
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:12:30 »
Inspired by Georgie's thread on the Fisher Price house, I've been thinking about my childhood toys all day!
What were your favourites?
Mine were my Fisher Price teapot and Brio train set with the bridges and tunnels.
I also loved my lego which my dad would make amazing cars and planes and buildings from, my pull along brown and white dog with the springy tail (ace) and my Tiny Tears.  ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

betula

• Hectare
Re: Childhood Toys and Games
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:29:49 »
Much loved Rosebud doll.These are collectable now.

Tiny telephone exchange.Dolls pram and as I got older the wonderful Tressy.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 11:32:32 »
Just googled Tressy Betula-she looks great! I had Sindy and a very posh Sindy house bought by my uncle's very posh girlfriend. I liked her.  ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:41:58 »
I also loved the Bunty comic.On the back you had a cut out doll and cut out clothes.I had a huge collection of these and spent hours playing with them.

Last Christmas I bought my small Grandaughter a book of these and she loved them.

The stocking filler was more popular than the main gift.  :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:34 »
Oh what memories!  My all-out favourite was the Bayko building set.  I used to get sets for birthdays and christmas, and spent all my pocket money on components.  I had a clockwork train set, and was well into plaster of paris as well.  Does anyone remember the PoP moulds?  I had all sorts of animals, and a scotsman wearing a kilt and playing the bagpipes.  His head ALWAYS broke off.  >:( >:( >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:14:29 »
My Rosebud 6 1/2 inch Thumbsucker dolls, they had patterns in the Womans Weekly each week. I have collected the dolls for  years since I grew up and have more than 300. Love to dress them in 1 ply wool, I will pop some pictures on whe Dan gets my photo  thing renewed.

Gollywogs and still have them too.

Teddies.

Rupert annuals have loads still.

For toys I liked chemistry sets and stuff like that.

Mostly hands on stuff other than the little dolls,

I also loved Pelham puppets.

Fishing stuff.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:33:13 »
Ah, the Bunty!  You brought it all back Betula! Being late for school through reading "The Four Marys" (Mary Simpson was one- who can remember the others?).  My friend and I spent literally hours making clothes for our Bunty dolls, which we used to stick on to card cut from Cornflake packets.  Her Dad used to bring scrap paper home from his office for us....happy days!

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:44:51 »
Did anyone have Pennybrix?

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:57:24 »
Ah, the Bunty!  You brought it all back Betula! Being late for school through reading "The Four Marys" (Mary Simpson was one- who can remember the others?).  My friend and I spent literally hours making clothes for our Bunty dolls, which we used to stick on to card cut from Cornflake packets.  Her Dad used to bring scrap paper home from his office for us....happy days!

Oh yes-the Bunty! They were my mum's and my grandad kept them, also my uncle's Beano's and Dandy's and my older uncle got The Eagle or something like that!
Mary Simpson was "Simpy". I can't remember the others but weren't their enemies called Mabel and Connie?

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 14:12:07 »
On the subject of cereal packets, I remember when they had things on the backs to cut out and do things with - face masks (just cut out, put string or elastic through the holes in the sides to tie to head), there was a village that featured a house, shop, church etc on each packet, the pieces had to be carefully cut out and glued together.  I used to instruct my mother which packets to buy  ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

poohs tao

• Not So New ...
  • bristol
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 14:17:11 »
my favourite were what i think were called weebles. 'egg' people. i think the add went weebles wobble but they don't fall down. i had a house and slide swings etc with them

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 14:33:52 »
sticklebricks, loved them loved my brothers action men too was never one for dolls

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 16:03:18 »
Asbeen, Bayko was my favourite, red or green roof and white pillars.  Looked it up but it is no longer made, think the metal prongs may be considered dangerous nowadays.  Glad you liked it as thought I was dreaming as no-one had heard of it.  I also made models out of plaster of paris, had a mould of cats and painted them all different colours, and gave them away as presents.  The cat was easy to do as some of the moulds pieces broke off.  Also my lovely dolls pram which I used to put the poor cat in and push him round the block with the hood up and the waterproof cover on so he couldn't escape, but he loved it (I hope).

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 18:57:39 »
Mecharno (spelling ?)
Action man with the eagle eye
Escalardo
Striker
Risk
Rebound
Spiderman comics, I'm sure I've still got the first one.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 22:09:19 »

The four Marys........midnight feasts in the dorm............. :)

Not forgetting the Bunty annual.......Christmas day would not have been the same without it.

Do you remember Toots in the bunty?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 22:14:05 »
I was thinking about my Rosebud doll.

I know they did the tiny ones and they were lovely but mine was a large baby size,well a bit smaller but largish.

I remember the clothes she wore the quality of the underclothes ,dress and shoes and socks was amazing. :)

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:24:34 »
Well, having looked up Rosebud dolls I'm very annoyed that I didn't have one. Kev-I had the Action Man with the Eye too. He was my sister's Barbie's very macho boyfriend. I think ours was the Bionic Action man.
I also loved...books!
We had the entire Enid Blyton collection which had belonged to my mum and her brothers (which explains why now I live in a fantasy land where everyone is lovely and happy and free!) I also loved Teddy Robinson (still do) My Naughty Little Sister and Ladybird books (which I now collect!)

Manics-we have sticklebricks at the nursery - so much fun! ;D

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 19:05:03 »
Nostalgia, great ;D

My mum and dad stored all my Enid Blyton books, complete 'Famous Five' and 'Secret Seven' series'.  They bought them over to France for my daughter to read and now I keep finding them all over the place.  I am going to find all of them and put them into sets and maybe read them again. 

Grace has just seen me typing this post and has promised that she will start reading them, and cannot remember seeing them ???.  She loved the audi-cd's she has listened to (F5) so things are looking good.

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 19:10:02 »
action man and ker plunk

o,and the chopper bike
                those were the days :)

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 21:23:17 »