Author Topic: We've changed over  (Read 896 times)

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
We've changed over
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:47:47 »
We've had a calor gas central heating boiler for about 25 years, the Calor gas has got very expensive. In the last two years, in the worst period in the Winter it cost £46 per week for heating and cooking. Over the year it cost £3.09 per day for heating/lighting/cooking (plus electricity)

The latter part of the Summer we removed the boiler and gas cooker, replaced them with Oil filled radiators/fan heaters/convector heaters for use in rooms as required. Hot water supplied by instant water heaters (so no tank of water to keep hot when not being used). New electric cooker (my wife never did like gas). Cost of Electrical modifications (new consumer unit, instant water heater, cooker, wiring etc.) about £1000, replacing the gas boiler would have been considerably more.

Our cost comparison over the last three months is:-

Gas costs @ £46 x 13 weeks = £598 (plus electricity)
Electricity costs £382.39 less £22.95 direct debit discount = £359.44 plus vat @ 5% = £377.41, a considerable saving.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: We've changed over
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:37:35 »
That is a saving!! I've got to be cooking on gas though-never get on with electric cookers!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
Re: We've changed over
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 20:30:21 »
We went to Morrisons today, they had 1050w Halogen heaters for £16.99. I bought one to try out. It gives more heat for the wattage than ordinary heaters but wouldn't be advisable in confined spaces (like a normal electric bar fire). Today in our lounge it was comfortable with it switched to two bars =700w. The psychological effect of the bright orange glow is also good.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal