Author Topic: How big a run for 4 chickens?  (Read 7647 times)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
How big a run for 4 chickens?
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:15:45 »
I'm thinking, and have been for some time, of getting some chicken, ideally 4, how big a run would they need in order to be happy? (I want to make sure I can fit house and run in back garden and be able to move it to 3 different spots periodically to allow grass a rest) Any help warmly received - don't want to buy living things if I can't treat them well.

jonny211

• Acre
Re: How big a run for 4 chickens?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 11:24:51 »
Depends on how big your back garden is really. 4 chickens would scratch a 8ftx8ft run to bits in no time, if your run was that big would you be able to move it and when it was moved would it be fox proof ie would the fox be able to dig under the wire after it was moved?

As an idea my wire is buried a couple of feet deep and at the bottom it's angled outwards for another foot.

Would you entertain the thought of a permanent run but let them out when you're in the garden?

Jon

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:52:04 »
Hi I have two at home and they have the run of the garden.

They do make a bit of a mess - but to be honest they are not that bad, but that is only 2! 

I would probably give them as much as you can spare, and then when you are home let them out into different areas.  You can fence off places where they shouldn't go quite easily and move the fence as and when you need to.

I have, up the lottie, got a fixed run, and when someone was replacing a picket fence which is only 18" high I grabbed it and as it is sectional in 6ft lengths I can place these where I want to keep them out of (or in!) and they have not bothered jumping over at all so it is really easy to move and change directions for when I am up there and can let them out to get grass and (current favourite) can go into the polytunnel and they all have a wonderful dustbath.  Such luxury!

O B

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 18:49:09 »
as usual excellent advice! Yes, I could fit an 8x8 run plus coop in and make it a permanent site and let chickens out when I'm in garden, will opt for just 2 if they are ok with just 2, thought they might need more company...? (yes I am naive!). Are they easy to get back in after having the whole garden to runabout in?! :-\

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 19:08:55 »
Hi I have 3 chickens in an ark, when brought they said it was big enough for 4 but I suppose thats correct if you agree in animal cruilty! Let them have roam of the garden, they will mainly just scratch in the boarders or by walls, basically where you would expect to find woodlice etc. Also when buying buy all one type or in pairs as they tend to stick to their own breeds ie my two black rhodes stay together and when I had two warrens they would stay together. Also do your reading they are great to have as pets but there is a lot too them and make sure they are cleaned at least once a week cos they do kick up a bit :-X  :) As for your question about space all I can say is that no matter if it is 8x8 or 12x12 they are inquisitive animals and will always cluck to come out! They truly believe  the grass is greener on the other side!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 20:31:19 »
Might be worth thinking about having 3, encase something happens to one, yep and they definitely like their own kind.

I've got my girls in a couple of arks which get moved once or twice a day, they also love leftover leaves eg lettuce and cabbage. Mine also get let out when I'm about, but I'm still weary as we have quite a lot of foxes about.

Go on it will change your life and given half a chance they will try and join you in the house!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

greenfreek

• Not So New ...
    • My Confessions Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 20:39:01 »
If you're new to chicken keping, this might be helpful. http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php
I got 5 ex batt hens on october and altho i dont have one of these, i know a few people that have and the omlet forum is very good. full of really helpful people that will answer anything!

Hope that helps!x

PS - I definately recommend chickens to ANYONE! such fab pets, so funny and they have amazin personalities. Plus the added bonus of eggs! Win Win!!

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
How big a run for 4 chickens?
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 17:14:42 »
We got 2 six months ago as raw beginners. I would advise getting just 2 for you at the moment. you could always add later.

Mine are fenced off, from time to time but fly higher than the 18" fence mentioned. More like 4', and they've been clipped on one side. i thought that was supposed to sort that!

don't know if it's the winter, or the short days, or the weather, or the constant cleaning of chicken sh1t, but I'm lagging in my enthusiasm at the moment.

They ARE lovely, no doubt about it. Great fun, good pets, the dog in my avatar died recently so they're a good distraction. I look forward to longer and brighter evenings.

Bottom line. Get two. If you like it, get more. How would you feel giving some away if 4 was too much for you. would your supplier take them back?

good luck with it.

DG

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 17:43:10 »
Thanks for the advice, have thought about it for ages and have seen Omlet at a few shows, plus reading the chicken section of this forum is interesting. I have two daughters (3&5) who I'm sure, would find them fantastic pets! I may well take this further once days get longer but thanks for the advice, it has really helped.

supplies for smallholders

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 19:04:30 »
Hi,

We have had chickens / hens for a few years now (quite a few of them)

My advice is:

1. Don't buy an overpriced hen house for just a few hens - there are lots of people cashing in on the current trend to downsize or be self sufficient, and will happily take your money.
2. Buy from a reputable breeder at point-of-lay (16 or so weeks old) and make sure that they have been vaccinated by the breeder.
3. My advice would be to go for a Hybrid hen like a Warren rather than a traditional breed.
4. Finally, dont let them anywhere near your veggie plot or they will devastate your plants.

But yes they are great fun and the eggs are great!

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 19:30:19 »
Yeah,

we got ours almost at point of lay, we waited 9 days or so.
Our coop is cheap and cheerful.
We have hybrids, and now I notice Hybrids everywhere on telly. It's always the way innit?
Plans are afoot to protect the veggie plot this year....

good advice Gareth

Speedy

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:53:23 »
We have started with 4 hens, went down to 3 and now have 6.  I recommend started with fewer than you think as hens are addictive and you will end up with more!

We've just moved house and built a permanent run as previous one was cobbled together from collected bits.  Now has big paving slabs round it to stop foxes digging, also keeps it neater as can sweep scratched up earth back in.  Run is about 4m x 4m.  Their coop is an old pottng shed on breeze blocks so they have a dry area underneath. 

If you build a permanent run they will clear it of green stuff in days but you can always provide veg and hang it around the place for them to pick at.  We've also put a pile of old logs in their run which gives them something to explore and the odd creepy crawly reward.

reddyreddy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:09 »
all sounds like sensible advice, many thanks!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal