Author Topic: First visit in a few weeks  (Read 2708 times)

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
First visit in a few weeks
« on: January 17, 2010, 20:03:19 »
Like many, the weather over the past few weeks has meant no visits to the lottie. I have really missed this, so as today dawned nice and bright, Mary and I decided it was time to venture over to see the state of play. Did a short tour of garden centres looking at potato varieties and then went over the plot. Only one other plotter and he was leaving. We walked over to our plots and I must saywere were pleasantly surprised that all seemed to be intact and that the plots looked in relative good shape. As we had taken the nets off from the brassicas on our last visit we weren't surprised to see the pigeons had been having a party. When it came to opening the sheds I must admit that I did a couple of loud bangs on the doors to warn anything that might have taken shelter to get out. Whilst we were sitting having a coffee and discussing plans we spotted a fox mooching around the site. The man that has always left food for them hasn't been over for a little while another plot holder told us so I imagine the fox was hungry. Not being all that confident around animals I did ask him to go away and stop staring at us. We had nothing for him. Did feel sorry for him but I suppose all wild life have to search for food.  The badgers have been busy making potholes in the grass paths. I wonder why they insist on digging for worm in the grass. There is plenty of bare soil that surely would be alot easier for them.  All in all it was lovely to get out of the bungalow and sit in the fresh air even if it was for only a couple of hours. Pretty though the snow be, I would rather it didn't return until next year although the forcast says otherwise. Got to watch Lark Rise now so will go and leave you all in peace.
regards JB

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
Re: First visit in a few weeks
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 20:41:13 »
jeanbean,you have been so lucky to get to they allotment,istill have another 3 weekswith my ankle in this plaster cast,so i am going nowhere.
 now while the snow was on the ground i did notmind so much,but we have had a fair bit of rain so the snow has washed away,and worst of all today has been abright but chilly day and all i can do is sit by the window and wish i was there.
  and it is driving me MAD.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 21:03:21 »
Sorry to hear about your ankle Phlips66. How did you damage it? Was it due to the bad weather. It was so slippery, one of the reasons I wouldn't venture far. I can imagine your frustration as today was a good day to be out. Rest assured that once you have the palster removed and have built up strength then the better weather should be on it's way and you can make up for lost time. Take care and don't try to do too much too soon once you are out and about
JB
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 21:13:33 by Jeanbean »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 21:05:33 »
just finished watching lark rise  ;D
managed to get to the plot(to do some work) today, all the snow has melted and people were assessing what has happened to their fruit cages..we dug up some leeks, prepared half the parsnip bed and covered the early potato beds in the poly  ;D

Digindep

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 21:20:28 »
Nice post that JB...could almost imagine sitting there with you both sipping on warm refreshing coffee.....love it when I'm the only one down the plot...put the kettle on ..
sit back with said drink...and well! just watch the world d r i f t by...peace..................
Born with nothing
 'Aint spent it yet

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 21:29:16 »
jeanbean
 i slipped on the ice just before christmas,fractured my ankle in two places.
 you were to stay indoors will the snow was down, as you say i can soon make up for lost time.
 how great that is,sitting on they allotment with a cup of tea listerning to the birds sing.
 done it myself many a time.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 21:30:58 »
Digindep you couldn't have put it better. We just love being over the plots, doing a bit here and there and even though some of the jobs are quite challenging we find it so relaxing. As this is the start of our second season we have far more to look forward to as we now have an idea of how things pan out. Many a day last year planning digging, weeding,  planting, watching and reaping the rewards was sheer heaven. I hope that this year proves to be just as satisfying. Ooh sound a bit slushy don't I but I don't care ::)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 21:49:38 »
Managed to get down and liberate what I thought were my last three parsnip (the ones I wanted for Christmas dinner).  Was so pleased with the digging I carried on and came home with a bag full of large albeit forked parsnips.  Dug over the patch now and it lookes nice and tidy.  Will, if the wather holds next weekend start lifing my poly and dig.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 21:59:46 »
Dug out the last of the leeks on the house lottie... Giant Winter aren't frost proof enough it seems... souped. The bottom lottie ones look better...  :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 18:16:39 »
Since Christmas I've only been about four times to harvest parsnips, carrots, spring onions and leeks.
The shed still needs repairing after the break in.
Most of the brassicas have been decimated.   :'(
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 18:40:19 »
I wonder why they insist on digging for worm in the grass.

Worms live on partially decaying plant material. Root Hairs on the roots of grasses only live for a short time (few days - few weeks, depending on season / climactic / soil conditions). Worms always congregate under grass, that's where the best food supply for them is.
So, any animal / bird that wants to eat worms will dig / search in grassed areas.
'Simples'  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 18:05:31 »
Thanks Tonybloke for the explanation. I don't have any understanding of animals and their behaviours. Not an animal minded person I am afraid  :( and that also sums me up that I am afraid of anything with four legs. In hindsight it is probably best they dig in the grass as soon the open soil will contain all our potatoes etc so wouldn't be best pleased to find them dug up :)

fenbunny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 15:18:57 »
wahh.
My shed has decided to implode but at least the ground is not to bad. The wild life has taken a shine to the poly and managed to rip most of it up but a quick repair and all's good and still pretty weed free.
Plenty to do down the bottom end as the bind weed still lurks.
Managed to get the Asparagus bed in good shape.
Dad to 3 children, dog and 3 chooks-first time Lottie holder

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 16:34:40 »
I'm finally feeling a bit better so I managed. I planted a bit of late garlic and some things like long shallotts I got from a Chinese stall in the market. I did a little digging, and lifted a few Jerusalems and some oca. The latter had come through the frost with only minor damage, under nothing but fleece and snow, which must have insulated it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 17:40:21 »
I had not been since December but some strawberries were delivered so I just had to go and plant them.  It is very wet underfoot.  The overwintering broad beans - not a great success!  :( And something has been eating my purple sprouting - I think it is Muntjac deer.   :-\ And there are fewer leeks.   :-[  And I could do without the dog poo. >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal