Author Topic: bullies.  (Read 1838 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
bullies.
« on: January 11, 2010, 20:53:37 »
Daughter has asked what she can do. She has 4 hens & she thinks one is being bullied. It is a small breed & the others seem to be pushing her out at feeding time etc.
Is there anything she can do?

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
Re: bullies.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 13:51:41 »
Hi,

How long has your daughter had the chickens? Is the one you think is being bullied new to the others?

I have 8 chickens and they still argue at feeding times, I think its all to do with the pecking order. As long as she gets to eat and looks OK i wouldn't worry too much. If they peck her too much and starts bleeding then i would remove her until she is healed ( Sometimes chickens will keep pecking if they see blood). Then maybe try to introduce her to the others again.

I'm still learning too but I'm sure someone will be along and correct me if I'm wrong.  ;D

Lucy x

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 20:31:24 »
Agree with Lucy's reply. If its only at feeding time then add another feeder.  It can help to provide distractions such as hanging greens/CDs for them to peck at. Offer plenty room, avoid overcrowding and provide objects to run around and to jump on.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 20:48:26 »
Thanks for that mummybunny & RW. She got them all at the same time, around August I think & they have a large penned area. I think she feels it's not only at meal times but she is rather melodramatic bless her, when it comes to animals ;). I will pass this info on to her.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 23:26:47 »
In adition to the others good advice-try putting down additional feeders so the submissive hen always has the option of eating elsewhere.Dont forget the extra water containers though.There has to be a pecking order though with any hen community when theres no cockbird (he is the keeper of the peace) and they do settle down.

If they do happen to draw blood,you might want to buy some 'Genetian violet spray' or sometimes just known as 'purple spray'.It dont cost much (about £3),but what it does do well at is disguising blood and wounds.Chickens can turn into vicious little cannibals when they see blood and will literally peck another to death if you dont look out.The vent is always a prime target for pecking so keep an eye on that end.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 19:38:38 »
I got so sick of the bullying that I scatter the food on the ground so even the weaker ones get a chance.  My daugher was 7 when we had them and used to panic about it but she now knows as long as there is enough food they all will be ok.  I do get really cross with them at times and have to remember that they are hens and therefore not that intelligent, they seem to have an almost ferral need to eat.  It is a real learning curve but I am sure she will be ok, it all part of nature and it is great that she has the chance to experience it.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 00:14:58 »
your daughter could try a hanging feeder a small one would do. fill it up with food so there is no rush to eat food. So when the top hen eats the othes follow in order and plenty left for the last one.
Or scatter food all around as has been said.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal