Author Topic: Squash/Courgette swap anyone?  (Read 6729 times)

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
Squash/Courgette swap anyone?
« on: January 16, 2010, 16:26:14 »
Hi all, just thought I'd offer to do squash/courgette squash if there is enough people interested?

I'll run it along the same lines as Jayb's tomato/chilli swap so that it's all done and dusted before sowing time.

So if you want to join please pm/post and I'll set up a list of people. If you have at least one variety of 10 seeds and want to take part-let me know. Then any number of varieties x 10 seeds.

I just think we need something to cheer us up with this miserable weather at the moment.... and I just think it feels closer to Spring when you start sorting your seeds out and deciding what to grow  8)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Squash/Courgette swap anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 16:38:44 »
Ten seeds might be a bit too high for this one. You don't need ten of a large squash to get a decent crop, and without going through my seed tins, I have several varieties, but I'd be unlikely to have ten to spare from all of them. I could manage a couple at least, but maybe five seeds would be more realistic. Others might be better supplied, of course, and disagree!

I'm definitely interested.

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 16:43:20 »
Ok I'll bow to greater knowledge and let's go for 5?

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:11:19 »
So far Robert + Reddyreddy have shown an interest-anyone else??

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 13:01:55 »
I'm not big into Squashes/courgettes, they just don't really do it for me! But I keep growing different ones just in-case ;D

Add me in please.

People may not have noticed this post as Chriscross has got a similar swap running at the moment
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 17:22:41 »
Ok thanks Jayb- you're on  the list as well

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 19:52:06 »
Thanks for your pm Jitterbug- you're on  the list.Not sure how many more people but will leave it a week longer to see

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 09:46:18 »
Thanks for the PM Badstripe-you're on the list-will send details in about a week

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 16:52:06 »
Hi All

I have just had a root around my seed stashes and have some lovely swaps so would love to join this swap.  Let me know the details.

Kind regards

Jitterbug
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 22:57:38 »
I can do Turks Turban and Buttercup......I had good seed yields off the few I managed to grow last year.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 12:58:57 »
Good luck with the swap!.... The one I organised seems to have gone quite well though I was a bit overwhelmed by the numbers of seeds I've had to deal with....I can send you some italian courgettes if you like as I've got tons of Tondo di Piacenza and Striato di Italia seeds spare..... don't need anything back, I've got more squashes/courgettes than I know what to do with for next year now..... the courgette surprise season will be early, long and large this year I think.....

One thing I found (that I will try to do if I organise one next year) is ask for four seeds per variety..... especially if folks are growing something as an experiment in somethnig as big as a cucurbit then they're unlikely to want to grow more than 2 plants and as you get nearly 100% germination then even if you end up splitting the 4 into 2 pairs it's likely that both people receiving will get two plants.... I asked for 3's this year as the base number and when you've  only got three seeds and two requests for that variety  you end up having to be a bit mean to someone who will therefor only get one seeed.....

Where do you want me to send the Tondo di Piacenza and Striato's to?

chrisc

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 13:32:02 »
Good luck with your swap.  I have loads of courgettes and squashes and I can't cope with more.

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 14:31:22 »
i would like to give it a go,count me in
would like a few diffrent variaties to try

superfowell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 15:22:21 »
Hi, I have at least one type I can swap with although I can't remember what it is. How does this work as I'm new to this  :)
Nicole

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 16:15:10 »
OK folks-thanks for all your interest in this-I have just come back from holiday so am assuming everyone has read this now and the list is

Robert_Brenchley
Reddyreddy
Jayb
Jitterbug
Badstripe
Vortex
Phlips66
Superfowell
and myself

Hope I haven't missed anyone?
I will PM each of you with my address details and what you need to do is:

Any seeds for swaps in a  particular variety of 5 at a time to be labelled with variety, whether self saved /bought and year and sow by date in separate bags/envelopes

You can send in any number of varieties and will receive the same number of packs back in return-the more varieties the better!

If you have any spares which you just want to add in as extras please note on as spares -also please put your forum ID on so that I don't send you your own seeds back! lol

Please send them to me along with an SAE (large stamp size to be on the safe side)

As we are fast approaching the end of Feb can I ask that I have all seeds sent to me by the end of next week ( ie by Friday 10 March) so that I can swap/sort and get them all back to everyone asap

Also if anyone just wants courgettes or squah -can you let me know  by a note with your seeds otherwise I will assume you are OK getting both

Thank you ChisC for the offer of the Italian Courgettes-these will be added in  and I will PM you the address as well

Here's  to a good seed swap  :) :) :)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 07:43:46 »
sorry, am backing out of this one. Did a stock take on the seed front this weekend and have a zillion different types of squash and courgette but only 2 or 3 of each, enough for me but not to swap. Have fun!  :D

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 17:12:27 »
No worries - but if there is anything you're short of or would like to try-give me a shout as I have quite a lot anyway and will gladly send you some without your being in the swap!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 11:31:40 »
Mine are in the post. I'm not sure whether Tromba d'Albenga from Franchi should be described as a courgette or a summer squash - does anyone know?

keepondiggin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:10 »
Thanks Robert I'll look out for them and let you know when they arrive.

Have just googled Tromba d'Albenga and it seems to be called a courgette when picked young or if left to mature a squash. RHS have it listed as a squash

It's not one I personally know but someone else on here may have grown it befoe?

Don't know if I've been much help?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 17:52:18 »
Thanks. I'll be growing them to a good size!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal