Author Topic: world according to Monsanto  (Read 4887 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: world according to Monsanto
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 23:20:34 »
I'm assuming it's not because it's not really obvious, and they'd have to include the certifying organisation in the packaging which I don't see - like the Soil Association logo.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 23:23:16 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_certification
if it has not been certified, it ain't!!
and this doesn't mention 'organic'

however, if it's mass produced in the US, then it's probably not organic.

have you watched this, yet? (oscar nominated)
http://milledrive.com/videos/29660/Food
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 23:26:56 by tonybloke »
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 23:27:54 »
Tony, does the word organic have a special meaning for food only?  My suspicion is that this cat litter marketing blurb is breaking the regulations, but do the regulations apply to cat litter?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 01:12:56 »
Sorry I got distracted watching Tony's "link". It made me want to get militant again! :o :o :o
I'll get back on the cat litter on Monday.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 01:54:12 »
 I am up to number 6 now. I have to admit I have never given a great deal of thought to this subject just only bought seeds from non GM sellers.

I found the part about the milk very scary especially as the USA are OK with it but that the UK, Canada and Europe have banned it. Very scary for me as I live only 20 minutes from the US border and do a lot of my grocery shopping over the line. I always buy milk, cheese  etc  there as it is much cheaper than in Canada . After watching this I shall  definitely opt to pay the higher price  for dairy products and buy here.

Thank you Tonybloke, you certainly changed something for me!!! I never would have thought to question there would be a difference.

What other revelations can I look forward to !! I think I will stop buying US Tofu too.

Boggles the mind.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 07:24:27 »
Alongside this discussion has anybody watched jimmy from Jimmy's farm in Brazil? The programme on BBC1  is about the future of farming and is very disturbing.

Hundreds and thousands of hectares of soya beans with NO WEEDS, you just 'know' this is a Monsanto modified crop (IMHO In case any Monsanto lawyers are reading this) and as is pointed out in the programme this soya is in almost everything all over the world. Scary!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:30:54 by Ishard »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 12:53:26 »
OK I'm back on the hunt this morning. GPC pet products who produce "the world's best cat litter" are an American company based in Iowa so their product which they describe as organic is almost certainly made of gmo corn. This is authorised in EU for food products as far as I can make out??? Certainly cat litter would be OK in EU but cats sometimes eat litter + buying this product is in effect supporting Monsanto.

Also came across the following which has lots of interesting info and links:
http://www.naturalnews.com/021784.html
Monsanto have bases in the UK in Cambridge, Southampton and Kings Lynn.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2010, 13:03:54 »
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 13:08:53 by tonybloke »
You couldn't make it up!

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2010, 13:08:41 »
Tony, does the word organic have a special meaning for food only?
Nope, the term 'organic ' also applies to non - food products, such as cotton carrier bags supplied by the Co - op, clothing, (inc some egyptian cotton sheets, mmmmmmmmmmm), fertilisers, etc. so, not a 'food - only' issue.
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 13:15:12 »
In the GPC blurb their use of "organic" is as opposed to "inorganic" so they are playing a little semantic game imo to give the impression that the product is organic in the sense of additive free.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010, 13:21:08 »
any way Ann, have you thought of using a compost - based cat litter? (you know, Compost  ;) )
then you could compost it seperately? (after use)
You couldn't make it up!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 13:23:57 »
Good idea! I'm still seeing what's available - 20 years since I last had a cat. Things have moved on (if you'll pardon the pun!) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 14:04:16 »
In the GPC blurb their use of "organic" is as opposed to "inorganic" so they are playing a little semantic game imo to give the impression that the product is organic in the sense of additive free.
It's a game they're not allowed to play.  See here.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 16:02:17 »
here's more 'food for thought' from monsanto, story about Fox News stories being 'buried' Monsanto, and on other Rupert Murdoch News Channels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL1pKlnhvg0&feature=related
You couldn't make it up!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 12:04:05 »
I'm afraid I can't watch the videos because they keep buffering every few seconds. Yesterday I tried the Youtube Downloader but I only get sound on it.  I am not sure if this is because OneTel is my provider or that my computer is several years old.  

It's not all the videos because I had no trouble watching the one about Fox News, it's just the Monsanto ones that are too big.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:24:31 by Paulines7 »

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 18:44:38 »
It's a game they're not allowed to play.  See here.

There's a difference between "organic" and "Organic"..... ones a chemistry/biology term, the other has a legal meaning.....

THey're sharp though.....

chrisc

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 19:36:19 »
Yes they are and more thanI realised. I did a quick inspection of the packs of litter in Pets at Home today and the word "organic/Organic" is nowhere to be seen.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 18:01:55 »
I'm afraid I can't watch the videos because they keep buffering every few seconds. Yesterday I tried the Youtube Downloader but I only get sound on it.  I am not sure if this is because OneTel is my provider or that my computer is several years old. 

It's not all the videos because I had no trouble watching the one about Fox News, it's just the Monsanto ones that are too big.
'
press the pause' button  on  bottom of utube screen, 'til the buffer bar progresses some distance along, then you can press 'play' button and watch. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 18:56:07 »
Thank you Tony, I will try that and see what happens.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 10:55:23 »
Tony, where is the pause button please?  I couldn't find one anywhere.   :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal