Author Topic: Potato Varieties - All you need to know  (Read 8718 times)

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: Potato Varieties - All you need to know
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 13:03:36 »
Funny how whenever anyone posts some outside source of info theres alway a plethora of those who want to dismiss it in a defensive kind of way  ;D

Guess the snowy weather is causing techiness these days.

Potato varieties are a combination of short and long day hybrids, use them as they suit you and your position.
Best laid plans and all that

supplies for smallholders

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 13:21:24 »
Hi again,

Sorry if I have upset any of the "more established" members of the community - it was not intentional, It was not meant to diminish or undermine anybodies position of knowledge and to be honest I did not think it would create such a lively debate.

Perhaps I should stop posting links to sources of information I myself find invaluable

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 13:29:36 »
Gareth, please don't stop posting, I for one find any info posted helpful and would never dismiss any advice, help or links.  I don't know what's happening on this forum recently, but there does seem to be quite a few dismissive posts.  I try and ignore them and hope the site friendliness returns to normal soon...

Thanks

p.s. welcome to the site :-)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 13:31:20 by mat »

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 13:34:17 »
Hi

Thanks Mat  :)

Like one of the earlier posts said - Must be the cold weather, I mean who wants to be outside in this ?

and thanks for the "welcome to the site" - first one I have had  :(

Gareth

Tattieman

• Half Acre
    • www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 09:21:11 »
Just to add to the discussion. International Kidney are Jersey Royals which are known as being early potatoes. I sell them as a first early but they are actually classed as a maincrop. ;D
Welcome to the site Gareth.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 11:16:34 »

My apologies, I forgot that "Alan Romans Seed Sales" was the definitive knowledge base for seed potatoes - obviously the British Potato Council does not have a clue what they are talking about  ::) and I stand corrected  :D

Your sarcastic response isn't really helpful. I simply stated an opinion. It was based on my personal growing experience. It also happens to be the opinion of Alan Romans whose views on potatoes I have learnt to respect. Perhaps, as is often the case in forums, it was too tersely expressed hence giving the impression that it was intended as a put-down. If that is the case I apologise.

Personally I don't like the potato database you linked to but there will be plenty who do and that's fine. Good on you for posting the link. Having used the database on and off over the last few years I now prefer to google information about potatoes and get a diversity of views. You'll probably not be surprised  that I have found  lots of differing opinions about individual cultivars!!

Oh,

By the way - my seed potatoes are Considerably cheaper than in the link you posted above and come with a Certified Scottish Seed Tag.  :P

Thanks for that and, yes, on looking at your site I see that they are. However, as someone else has already pointed out, I don't plant on that scale - 1 or 2kg of each potato is my max. Also you don't seem to have the varieties I grow - Lady Christl, Kestrel and (guess what!) Belle de Fontenay.  And, with all due respect, why would I buy Scottish seed potatoes from Lincolnshire when I live in Scotland? Not too good for my carbon footprint I think! :o :o

I think your best bet would be to get an allotment association to bulk buy your seed potatoes. Not many of us afaik grow your kind of quantities. Oh and welcome to the site! ;D ;D

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:32 »
Good points well made - Friends ?

A lively debate certainly warms the blood in this weather  ;D

Gareth

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 12:08:47 »
Just to add to the discussion. International Kidney are Jersey Royals which are known as being early potatoes. I sell them as a first early but they are actually classed as a maincrop. ;D
Welcome to the site Gareth.
So are you JBA? If so I have just sent in an order. Could not work out how to order potatoes for summer planting though. Can you send me a pm if I can add some to my order?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 12:11:38 »
Wotcha Gareth !! Welcome to the forum, all links gratefully recieved, can't have too much info on spuds!!!!!!

;) ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 16:48:43 »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 16:51:27 »
Wecome Gareth, as Tone says never too much info on spuds, there should be a seperate section for spuds but as much as we ask it seems were not going to get it.      :-X    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 17:44:53 »
So are you JBA? If so I have just sent in an order. Could not work out how to order potatoes for summer planting though. Can you send me a pm if I can add some to my order?

Yes I am JBA during the day and Tattieman at night.
The summer potatoes won't be online until later in the year and thanks for your order.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 18:34:20 »
I wish I needed 25kg of them brilliant price's I paid nearly £10 yesterday for 5kg.

Thanks for the link Gareth.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 19:45:32 »
The summer potatoes won't be online until later in the year and thanks for your order.

Thats Scary - Like saying you like being called "Susan" at weekends  ;D

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2010, 19:48:46 »
I wish I needed 25kg of them brilliant price's I paid nearly £10 yesterday for 5kg.

Thanks for the link Gareth.

No Problem - Added all our strawberry and soft fruit bushes now as well.

Thanks

Gareth

Tattieman

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 22:23:20 »

Thats Scary - Like saying you like being called "Susan" at weekends  ;D

Yeah tell me about it ;D

• Not So New ...
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 14:18:13 »
Hi again,

Looks like I made a bit of a blunder with the strawberries and soft fruit plants - I priced them with VAT - they are not a Vat item so I have corrected this - so they are even more of a bargain now ! ;-)

Thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal