Author Topic: seed potatoes  (Read 1653 times)

Dads Army

• Not So New ...
seed potatoes
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:08:42 »
Hello as you can see I am new to allotment 4all. I asked a question in the shed forum Instead of here, so I will repeat it here. I was just trying to find out if there was any reason why you could not use named potatoes,  ie, King Edwards which have chitted instead of seed potatoes or will  that cause any problems. As I remember when a boy 60yrs or so ago, when money was a little short (like today) we saved some potatoes, by putting them  in the shed,I think in sand? to use over winter. And some of these, my father used as seed potatoes for the next season. THanks.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:24:13 »
The problem is that potatoes accumulate viruses so each year you grow saved tubers they'll do less well.  Seed potatoes are grown in areas that don't have a virus vector like aphids, so they accumulate virus less rapidly, and they are graded by their virus load so that virus doesn't build up in the seed stock.  Eliminating virus is one reason to grow potates from true seed, though it takes a couple of years to get a crop that way.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 13:27:35 »
I'm glad you asked that, Dad's Army (and by the way, welcome, you'll love it here). I've always bought seed potatoes but this year find myself with sufficient littlies left from last years crop to try growing on.  What's the worst that can happen if I do?  I don't mind a reduced crop since I only grow for early new potatoes really, but could I infect the ground for subsequent years? The variety is Pentland Javelin.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 14:32:37 »
RHS did some research recently that showed that if you plant big spuds you get bigger plants and bigger yields - so small seed potatoes are not going to give as big yields.
So it follows that if you use large shop bought spuds each year you should get bigger yields and not run the risk of building up diseases too.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 14:53:30 »
I'm not an expert on this; but I would say the number of eyes on a potato tuber is more important than size of the seed tuber.

This is backed up by those who cut a tuber up prior to planting ensuring that there is at least one 'eye' on each piece.

Then there are those who rub off the chits prior to planting to leave only a couple on to form haulms swearing they get more potatoes per planting!

My theory is; a shoot (haulm) emanates from each eye (normally) and it is from these shoots/haulms that the new potato tuber/s grow!

Suggesting more shoots more potatoes!

Having said that does the crop weight per planting alter? i.e. do you get lots of small new tubers or a few big tubers with both lots weighing around the same??

Or is this a 'variety' thing?

....what do think?

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 15:56:41 »
I agree TG, a bigger spud will not give you bigger yields, its the eyes that are important.
When I first started on the lottie I did use some shop spuds, for the one year I can't see it doing any harm, but year after year you have a chance of building diseases in your soil, so I always use the seeded spuds, we pick ours up in our local nursery for £3 for a 3 kilo bag so it doesn't work out that dear.
The same as a pint of lager, half a packet of fags or a cheap bottle of wine, so I would think most of us could afford them.
Also welcome Dads Army, does this mean you have an Army of kids to help you or are you just a fan of the programme, good luck with your spuds and what ever you do don't 'Panic'.
Also there are some nosey people on here so ' don't tell em your name Pike'.         :-\     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Dads Army

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 18:40:13 »
Thanks for all your replys. I am taking on board all your thoughts and ideas. For cornykev.In answer to your questions,. Have seven ganchildren, all girls 4 of those who live close are going to help with the allotment. I was born in barking essex, and a spurs supporter. I remember watching old players like alf ramsey, and  the 60s when spurs was a great team 2nd to none. late 50s in army. moved to Dads Army county norfolk, love that show(hope this does not upset non spurs supporters, no offence intended)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 19:23:00 »
Welcome to A4A Dad's Army... you are forgiven for being a Spurs fan... somebody has to be...  ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 19:44:26 »
I'm not biting Saddad.   :P :P :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 19:53:04 »
If I remember rightly when this was discussed before about using in certified seed potatoes some members had been told they could lose the allotment if they used shop seed. The risk of introducing virus is really high, Seed potatoes are generally grown at an altitude where there is very little aphids and the crops are inspected during the grow season to ensure healthy plants only are included. Ware ( shop) potatoes can contain all sorts of problems and as has been said if you use small sets, that may have come from plants which only had small potatoes then you are running the risk of a very small crop.

Dads Army

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 20:03:14 »
Thank you laurieuk, point taken. After waiting all these years to have a allotment again, I dont want to be booted out.( My Old bum would;nt take it)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 20:17:07 »
Hiya, Dads Army, welcome to the house of fun  ;D

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 03:28:46 »
I'm not biting Saddad.   :P :P :P

Me neither :D

chrisc

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28:15 »
Hello and welcome.

I've always used commercial seed potatoes, until last year. For the previous two years I'd grown - among other varieties - the French salad potato Roseval. But last year I couldn't find it anywhere, so I planted the remains of those I had in store; most of them were small, because we'd eaten the bigger ones. I had a fabulous crop, with plenty of decent-sized tubers! This year, I've deliberately set some aside to use again.

And yes, I do know the risks, so I'm still looking to source them commercially if I can. I think the answer is that's it's fine as a one-off, but not to be fully recommended as a lifestyle option....

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 12:34:29 »
I save a stock of PFA each year and have done for about the last 4-5 years.

Last years were exceptional!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 20:59:03 »
As I said previously I used to save my own seed but I did have a set of rules to do so. While the crop was growing I would mark any that looked in anyway poor. When I lifted the crop I would select from a plant that had a good crop of large and smaller potatoes a few medium sizes ones and put them to one side as I lifted. My idea was to avoid any poor plants and to avoid picking seed from any plant that had a crop of all small potatoes. If you select after general lifting you do not have any control.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal