Author Topic: Bullfinch  (Read 1693 times)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Bullfinch
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:48:30 »
A pair of bullfinches (Mr and Mrs) have been regular visitors to my garden for the past few years, once, I did think I saw two pairs, but was not quite sure as they are such timid secretive birds.

However with the weather being so bad this week with all of the snow, I have seen my two bullfinches feeding regularly for longer periods each day which has been a great pleasure as they are such stunning birds.

Hubby called me from the kitchen this morning to tell me there were lots of them 'salmon' birds in the garden, oh I said they will be the chaffinches ! (thinking he was mistaken as he is not great with identification)

The chaffinches, green finch and gold finch are always in abundance) nope its that other bird that you like to see he said, naaa says me, it will deffo be the chaffinches I told him, come and look, he shouted, so up I get and there in my garden are TEN bullfinches!

I could not believe me eyes!  :o

Five males and five females, what a fabulous sight that was  ;D

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: Bullfinch
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 17:04:29 »
 :) green with envy honeybee... know how you feel, since August we have had Goldfinches visit everyday,... I've always fed the birds all year round and never had a Goldfinch before, not had a Bullfinch in the garden for years but won't give up hope ;D/ shades x
grow your own way

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 20:33:48 »
Honeybee we had a visit from a bullfinch the other day. They usually arrive around mothers day. Very exciting even OH has got the bug & he goes out every morning to scatter seeds.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 23:19:14 »
How lovely for you HB!  We've only ever had a pair of bullfinches in our garden in the twenty odd years we've lived here!  And, they appeared very quickly out in the front garden, eating from thistle heads, stayed for about ten minutes, never to be seen again!  Same with goldfinches - had one sit on the back fence for about two minutes then fly off - also never to be seen again, lol.

(ps any chance of some snaps?  ;D)

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 00:27:19 »
The only goldfinch i have seen this year was a dead one by the back door .......  bl.....dy cats grrrr!
It was so beautiful. I am hoping I might see some more on the bird feeders and the German Shepherd is on special cat alert. it is quite funny really because she will sit overlooking the feeder and will chase the collared doves, grey squirrels and crows but the songbirds will come down to feed and even blackbirds will rummage around nearby.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal