Author Topic: E Mail storage  (Read 2753 times)

ken (69)

• Acre
E Mail storage
« on: October 31, 2004, 16:15:50 »
Does anyone know if there is any real advantage in having extra storage space from an e mail service systems.Postmaster.co.uk have just increased from a few  MB to 1 gigabyte, i.e. half the capacity of this machine.Other than never having to delete a message ever again, what do I do with it?

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Re:E Mail storage
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:18:57 »
You can use it to back up important files - either email them to yourself, or some providers give you a way of uploading files directly.

Cheers

Dan

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 09:29:05 »
Thank you Dan...will do...perhaps park a few programmes over there too...save upgrading if ever I need more space....Regards Ken

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 21:23:50 »
Ken I know little to nothing about puters but thought I'd toss this in just in case of interest.
Most Internet Service Providers (I am told) give you a reasonable amount of space for free for uploading your images, I'm with Blueyonder and have been uploading images for ages and found it very useful for placeing pictures on the internet forums etc.
Maybe this isn't quite what you mean,t but I thought I'd mention it just in case you and others were unaware. ???

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 12:21:10 »
You've got the idea, Roy, although not into camera yet. What pictures I have are in Docs.The daft thing is I have 5 addresses with web based postmaster.co.uk so presume 5 gigglebytes all told.Enough to start a business.Then there is G mail same thing.....and Hotmail. Don't go often to   ISP Tiscali portal ..too many flashing lights and so on.Grab mail via Pop 3.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 12:56:56 »
Ken, you could still use it as a dumping ground to lighten up your memory space (I think) and maybe put other stuff on other than images, sure someone with more knowledge will come and advise. ???

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 16:49:51 »
Ken, the extra space you're being offered is storage at your providers site, not on your 'puter. (I think you probably already know that anyway). Regarding "Upgrading"....If you need extra HD space, hard drives are currently under £1 a gig...! Installation of a second drive to add to your 'C' drive is always a good idea. It's a good place to back-up files if you don't have a R/W drive. If your C drive ever packs up, at least you have all your files on back up.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 17:43:12 »
Yes...Roy/Ken...know what you are saying and appreciate that gigs are cheap, and so is memory, but only use now..less than half this 2 gig capacity in ordinary working mode...so...can I ship out..say ..'Office' to an outside storage so as to handle camera and/or video on this machine. Is two gigs enough?Only use this machine for internet and e mails. But an added complication this computer is wind-up and not usb..but has sufficed And would be nice to upgrade but not perhaps 400 gees..that could take you to the moon.Anyway am trying to make it pay for itself..so far download newspapers instead of buying...now about £20 in credit, over 3 years.Brilliant invention.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 08:52:47 »
You seem to be getting into the swing of things, Ken68. I'll make a bet that in no time at all you will add extra gig's. You're going to fill up your 2 gig in no time. You can't 'ship out' a programme such as office...each (legal) copy has to be stored on one 'puter or a seperate licence for each copy is required. I have a R/W on here and intend to save my files on CD. I'll also be backing up my video files on HD 'D' for speedy access. Video work really does require a seperate drive/storage place. Finicky things to work with and best stored seperatly from other files.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 13:53:56 »
You seem well advanced, Ken. I do find it all a steep learning curve, wish the makers would stop developing things, so that I could catch up....:-)Did I read somewhere that Microsoft are bringing out a new Windows.?

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 15:49:22 »
The new MS O/s was due for next year. It's beta name is Longhorn, if I remember right. My guess is it's at least 2 years away. MS is keen to dominate the market and each O/s released is weighed in that direction. MS have had legal problems in the past with the US competitive law (what's the word I'm looking for?) and new MS O/s have to be fairer in that direction. ie; Netscape use to auto load with Win 98....it was difficult to change to a new browser. It cost MS millions in fines and to correct it's O/s. What Longhorn will offer is still a guess.
PS. I'm no 'puter freak, I just like to try and catch up to my 36 year old son!

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 16:24:54 »
Trust busting something...know what you mean re age one of  my nephews (of 12) now works for a comp shop  sorting problems, but not sure if I should ask advice, him being still in nappies.   Regards ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 16:45:31 »
Incompetent-vs-incontinent

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal