Author Topic: Chicken breeds?  (Read 1918 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Chicken breeds?
« on: January 24, 2010, 19:32:05 »
I have been chicken sitting for the last five, mummy & daddy back today :'(. It has made me think I would like to get some but they would have to be a small breed. Has anyone got or had Silkies. Any info would be welcome.

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
Re: Chicken breeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 19:53:12 »
Bantams are great - they don't eat much and don't need a lot of space.

I have one Silkie. Beautiful but she goes broody very easily. In spring she is often in the sin-bin to get her off her broodiness.

jono

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 19:56:48 »
why a small breed? I love having chickens but I have black rhodes they are fun to watch and the eggs are great.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 20:58:09 »
Small breeds because I don't have very much room & would like them to have as space as possible.

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 16:57:48 »
My friend used to keep Polish Cresteds AKA pompom heads- they were small, cute and very funny.

worldor

• Half Acre
  • A Black Country girl
    • City Chickens
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 17:58:32 »
Chickens are very addictive aren't they? In my experience the best small breed are the Pekins. They come in a variety of colours and lay a small to medium egg. The Silkie bantams are a little bigger and lay a bigger egg and are also sweet natured and a joy to watch. Yes, they do go broody easily but I just let them. After all they aren't egg machines are they. Last year I incubated some mini white silkie eggs and was amazed at how tiny they were. Unfortunately out of the six eggs, five hatched and four were boys so I only have one little fluffy left. She is adorable though and a real character. If you want some eggs incubated let me know. They are easy to come by on ebay but of course you will have to think about if you get boys they will need rehoming. If you google for pekin bantams you can get loadsd of images of them and I'm sure you will be as addicted as I was when I first saw them.
chris at citychickens.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal