Author Topic: We have eggs!  (Read 1950 times)

twave

• Not So New ...
We have eggs!
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:41:21 »
Our girls layed their first eggs at the weekend! We have 4 hens and were getting 2 a day but it's gone done to one a day now.

I was a bit sceptical at first, but it's true that eggs from your own chickens taste far better than anything you get in the shops!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
Re: We have eggs!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:56:48 »
Yay! Congratulations. I am v jealous...I want chooks so badly!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 17:30:17 »
 ;D ;D ;D

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 17:48:04 »
Allow them access to grass or give them broccoli and you'll notice the yolks go really really yellow like how a child would draw them! Yes,they taste better than battery hens and also make quirky pets too.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 20:52:35 »
Congatulations ;D

I give my girls the recommended feed of hen food.  They also have all the left overs from our meals (exept poultry), peelings (pot skins microwaved), egg shells, rotten fruit, rice pasta etc.

We have lost two hens (natural causes) out of 17 in two years.

You cannot beat free range eggs, we have the local shop taking all of our spare eggs and friends that we like to give to.  The OH's notice when it is a shop bought egg.

Enjoy l'eufs

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 00:42:45 »
nothing like a fresh egg from nest box to being cooked in the same day oh wonderfull.
any greens this time of year will help them cabbage etc gives extra vitimins to boost them ( poo goes black its the iron in vedge) but you know its doing them good eating apples hanging up on strings mine enjoy pecking at them.
quirky pets ha ha when you talk to  hens and they answer you back you know you cannot tell the family ha ha .

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 00:48:21 »
I too am jealous, I so miss my Buff OrpingtonsXX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal