Author Topic: Dahlias  (Read 8488 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Dahlias
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:43:53 »
I forgot to dig up my dahlia bulbs in autumn so they have been frosted, so I assume wont grow next year. 

B&Q are selling dahlia bulbs and they say to plant them now... surely they will just get frosted if I plant them in the middle of snowy winter? Can anyone enlighten me!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Dahlias
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:02:26 »
Unless they are soft and mushy they might sprout... Don't plant new ones yet.. they will just die..  :-X

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:30:00 »
Thats what I thought.. I trust your judgement more than B&Q's sign!
Will try to dig up the other bulbs in case any can be rescued.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:36:06 »
Store them in dry conditions... dry compost/peat in a frost free place... ours are in the cold greenhouse, not totally frost free but we haven't lost any in years.. and OH didn't lift ours before they had spent two weeks frozen in...  ::)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:06:56 »
the hubbie left his dahlia in overwinter last year,and they all came up fine,despite his sleepless nights worrying about them,he didnt get round to getting them up this year either,but he has covered them with a very thick layer of straw,so fingers crossed he gets away with it again!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:29 »
the hubbie left his dahlia in overwinter last year,and they all came up fine,despite his sleepless nights worrying about them,he didnt get round to getting them up this year either,but he has covered them with a very thick layer of straw,so fingers crossed he gets away with it again!

A guy on our site does this every year and has wonderful dahlias.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 17:41:27 »
Pleased you asked this lewic.  I lifted mine, but they're getting frosted - some mushy, some firm.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 19:02:43 »
Can anyone enlighten me!

Pot them up as 'pot tubers' to produce cuttings then you can increase your stock as wel.

Plant out when all fear of frost has passed!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Dahlias/Dahlias.htm

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Dahlias%20%28bedding%29/Dahlias%20%28bedding%29.htm

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 14:22:28 »
I forgot to dig up my dahlia bulbs in autumn so they have been frosted, so I assume wont grow next year. 

B&Q are selling dahlia bulbs and they say to plant them now... surely they will just get frosted if I plant them in the middle of snowy winter? Can anyone enlighten me!

I wouldn't be so hasty to dismiss them just yet.

More important than a bit of frost is what kind of soil have you got and how deep did you plant them ?

Its not so much the cold that kills them, more the damp. If you have free draining soil and they are planted deep enough to miss the worst of the frost , they'll be absolutely fine. The frosty weather we had only penetrated the first inch of soil at most, plant any lower than that and you will be ok. Also the snow provides a warming blanket and helps soil underneath not to fall much below zero; a frost can make the soil far colder.  :)

If you have good soil and planted them a good few inches deep, they'll stand a better chance of survival than Saddads in his cold greenhouse.  :)

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 14:25:51 »
Also I wont pot up this years ones until March, and put them outside Early May. Do to it now is asking for trouble.

BAC42

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:23:16 »
I live in Essex and never lift mine. Up to now I have never lost any but after the last few Weeks it will be interesting to see what happens.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 12:48:45 »
I foolishly went down the plant aisle in Wilkinson's today and had to buy some dahlia tubers because

• there was a lot of choice
  • they were lovely firm tubers
  • they practically leapt off the shelf into my basket

I've never bought any so early in the year so now I've got the problem of where to keep them till I can start them off. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 19:02:13 »
Some of the dahlia tubers that are in stores rather than nurseries are dipped in wax to stop them shriveling . they can be very difficult to get started as the wax stops the moisture getting in. It is worth watching this when buying tubers very in the season.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 19:17:30 »

I've never bought any so early in the year so now I've got the problem of where to keep them till I can start them off. 

i've stored my lifted tubers on the floor of the passenger side of my car  :D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 19:32:01 »

i've stored my lifted tubers on the floor of the passenger side of my car  :D

They would probably take root in all the dirt on the floor in my car!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

phlips66

• Half Acre
  • st-albans herts
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 19:39:29 »
grew them for the first time last year and had some smashing flowers, and i also lifted them.
 my local garden centre has a dahlia showground,and will talking to some of the guys there involved with it,they said that they lift some of them and leave they others in the ground,covering them with staw or a dressing of mulch,they say there are far to many to lift and store.
 they do lose a few that are left in the ground overwinter,but on average the loses are not that much

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 19:43:36 »
I never lift mine.  I put a thick covering of straw on them before we get the first frost and this is usually fine. 

We used to have a man on our site who grew them for shows and he never lifted them.  He had fantastic plants.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 16:43:17 »
Next year I'll definitely leave them in but covered up then. Have a ready supply of cardboard at work. Bought some lovely ones today, that are supposed to grow to the size of dinner plates!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 16:55:03 »
This was grown by the man on our site who never lifted them -

[attachment=1]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 17:09:49 »
Ooh I want! They are gorgeous. Looks like a serious cage he has got round them.. I wonder if there is a less conspicuous way of supporting them? I am more into looking at them in the garden than cutting them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal