Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 1678 times)

DavidW

• Quarter Acre
Rhubarb
« on: October 31, 2004, 13:12:12 »
I have three Rhubarb plants in containers, when would be the best time to transplant them into their final positions on the allotment and how far apart should these plants be

Thanks
David

Andy H

• Hectare
Re:Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 18:42:28 »
We did ours in summer and about 3 ft apart, sure someone with more knowledge will come along! ;)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 21:08:42 »
David, usual time is Spring (I think) but on the other hand I have heard it is better to do this when plant is dormant.  Anyway plant with crown about 2 to 3 inches below surface and about 3 feet apart.  In saying that I put in new plants last year end Sept/early October they are about 2 feet apart - all wrong but they have survived.  Didn't really pick any this year as it is virtually their first year.

I put bone mean on when the leaves died back and will  fertilise in spring. Keep very well watered.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 12:20:42 »
Hi DavidW - it's best to do it anytime between now and February, while the plant is dormant, and 2-3 feet apart.

All best - Gavin

Hugh_Jones

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 17:44:02 »
If the plants are container grown it`s not very important when you plant them out (except, of course when the ground is frozen)  as long as you keep the container soil ball intact around the roots.  This applies to virtually all container grown plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal